Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to study next?

Options
  • 24-02-2012 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been working a few years as a Software Engineer and am looking to broaden my skill set to improve job opportunities by learning a new language or technology.

My core skills are:

Java Enterprise, Adobe Flex, C, C++ Spring, iBatis, Databases - Oracle, IBM DB2 and other bell and whistles.

So what should I focus on next? Was thinking of

Javascript (know a decent bit alright but need to play with it more)

C#

Objective C

Any views on the pros and cons of each or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What would you like to achieve or what direction would you like to go in?

If you know Java & C++, then you more or less know Objective C and C#. Nothing that a few days wouldn't take to cover.

You could look into more dynamic type languages like Groovy and Scala which are java-like and should be easy to pick up or Ruby, Perl, Python.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well my primary aim is to continue being relevant and have skills that are in demand.

One thing I have been toying with is to dip my toes into mobile development.

Objective C and C# seem like no brainers really if I can pick up a lot of the core stuff quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Well my primary aim is to continue being relevant and have skills that are in demand.

One thing I have been toying with is to dip my toes into mobile development.

Objective C and C# seem like no brainers really if I can pick up a lot of the core stuff quickly.

If mobile development is where you want to go, then Java, Objective C & C# are the main languages to focus on. You have the foundations for what you need, you just need to get familiar with the different platform frameworks & tools. Have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Saying you know Java and C++ means absolutely nothing. I can pretty much guarantee you have only scratched the surface of knowledge on these subjects after a few years.

Frameworks are what you need to be learning. What C++ frameworks do you know? Do you use modern C++ or legacy stuff? Are you an expert with STL? Can you make your C++ thread safe? What about Java? Do you know all that ORM stuff (looks like you do)?

Are you familiar with all the tools that go alongside the above? Have you used continuous integration software? Do you write unit tests? Do you automate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 john locke

• Advertisement
Advertisement