Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad - Note - 1 day race, contains unmasked spoilers

Options
  • 24-02-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

The real racing starts tomorrow with the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad kicking off the Classics season. This is a really good race (semi-classic) and quite prestigious to have on your Palmares. At 200km and 15km of cobbles there should be fun. Looking at the start list there are quite a few contenders and difficult to know who is going well and who wants to show their form before next April. Looking at BMC start list :eek:
    GILBERT Philippe Belgium
    42 BALLAN Alessandro Italy
    43 BURGHARDT Marcus Germany
    44 HUSHOVD Thor Norway
    45 PHINNEY Taylor United States
    46 QUINZIATO Manuel Italy
    47 SCHÄR Michael Switzerland
    48 VAN AVERMAET Greg Belgium

You could pick quite a few possible winners from that list but Flecha and Stannard from Sky and of course Boonen will be up for it as will Langeveld who won last year (or was it the year before).

My pick is Matti Breschel riding for Rabobank and looking like he is back to his past form.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I reckon Boonen or Boasson Hagen or Thor as my favourite to win this. Boonen will win at least one of the two races this weekend.
    /Off to Ladsbroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

I reckon Boonen or Boasson Hagen or Thor as my favourite to win this. Boonen will win at least one of the two races this weekend.
    /Off to Ladsbroke.

It won't be Boasson Hagen.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boasson-hagen-to-miss-omloop-het-nieuwsblad-through-illness

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I love this race.

Boonen and Gilbert would be my picks, but it's Belgium so anything could happen.

Was looking at the BMC start list myself yesterday. They're really stacked for the classics and are now up there with Quick Step as the team to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Will eurosport show it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Will eurosport show it?

No. You'd have to watch it online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

What site will have it live online?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Rofo wrote: »

No legal ones.

Though if you are a member of the "cycling fans" and can add .com onto the end of a internet address then......

RobFowl wrote: »
    No legal ones.

Though if you are a member of the "cycling fans" and can add .com onto the end of a internet address then......

I'm not sure I follow you ;)

Cyclingfans.com will list a number of streams on race day.

I used to subscribe to cycling.tv for races Eurosport don't carry, but won't be renewing my subscription this year because the service has just become woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I have to get my subscription to TV Vlaanderren sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

do you know where we can watch this online?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

TheNah wrote: »

Ngpph9yUOk3t8w7xhQz5WwfXo1_r1_500.jpg

TheNah wrote: »

Scroll up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Why is no one looking at Cancellara, or is he not racing this or KBK.

I would like to see Bonen back to his best to upset the Gilbert/Cancellara dominance in each of the past two years.

If BMC plan on doing something at MSR, RVV and PR I guess we will begin to see in next few weeks.

Awesome team, but will it work.

Garmin look to have a reasonable team out for the weekend also.
    Haussler anyone?

ROK ON wrote: »
    Why is no one looking at Cancellara, or is he not racing this or KBK.

Radioshack weren't invited to either race.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Michelle Geoghegan is riding the women's race, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

Scroll up ;)

yeah yeah yeah i get it!! dunno how i missed that:rolleyes:

The Crunch wrote: »

Yep, she's on the start list, number 202.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

The dilemma with this race is that it is still a long time to Flanders and Roubaix and trying to hold form for that length of time is not easy. Past records show that if you win here its unlikely that you will win the big ones so might just be training ground for the big guns.

Boonen seems to be more focused this year. I hope for his sake that he can put it up to Gilbert Cancellara and Hushovd in April as having won Roubaix 3 times he would love to join De Vlaemick with a record 4 wins. (Caroline will agree of course!)
    Its such a shame that its not covered by Eurosport.
    @ Vlad hadn't realised Radioshack didn't get invite. Cancellara will be disappointed. BMC look an awesome bunch on paper. I think Van Avermaet will be their man on the day.

@ Rok On Haussler has promised much but not sure if he is a cobbles man. Hope he is up for it at San Remo

Actually I should clarify that by saying I'm unsure whether it was a case of them not being invited or them declining an invite.

• Advertisement

The Crunch wrote: »

Siobhan Dervan as well (no 124)

The mens race is on Rai Sport Due at 13.20

This is on Hotbird satellite

morana wrote: »

Tell me that satellite is owned by Berlusconi.

Tell me that satellite is owned by Berlusconi.

I will tell you it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

morana wrote: »

Excellent. I think the kids tv set up has that

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭pantani

id love to know how to get rai sport,any way my fancy's for tomoro are beirne eisel ,maarten tjallingi and greg van avaer mat.what time do they roll out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

No live coverage for a further hour or so, but here's the current state of play (from the ticker on Sporza.be, and Google Translate!)

Seven are gone The leading group has the magical milestone of the minute and rounded like a long road for business. The peloton seems to get some of the sunshine to enjoy before it is engaged with the breakaway.

Six riders have joined Marco Haller. David Boucher, Andy Cappelle, Davide Ricci Bitti, Florian Vachon, Sven Vandousselaere and Lieuwe Westra.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

wiziwig.eu has interesting info starting at 1

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

I tipped Mattie Breschel yesterday but it didnt post so I am still sticking with Breschel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Advertisement