Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quit my job what should i say in interview as reason?

Options
  • 24-02-2012 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I quit my job afew weeks ago now, was told that if i dont quit id be sacked!
    so i quit my job so i can still have reference from the company.
    but i dont know what to say in interviews?
    i was thinking saying i quit to look for full time work but they will probably suspect something from the fact that i didnt stay there till i got a new job!!
    what do ye think i should say? :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

I quit my job afew weeks ago now, was told that if i dont quit id be sacked!
    so i quit my job so i can still have reference from the company.
    but i dont know what to say in interviews?
    i was thinking saying i quit to look for full time work but they will probably suspect something from the fact that i didnt stay there till i got a new job!!
    what do ye think i should say? :D

If there is a gap in your CV, a good excuse is to pretend you and a friend did a bit of travelling for a few weeks/months. Make sure it's about a place or places you have been to, eg backpacking around Europe, America or Australia. Or if you haven't done much travelling, say you had a brother living in London/Spain and you went over there for a few weeks kipping up and do some menial job like handing out flyers or something.

Also regarding reference's, most large company's aren't bothered to give a reference over the phone as they see it as a waste of their admin staff's time ( they have a point) as they would have to dig out your file etc and give them a call back. Legally they have to confirm you worked with them from XXXX to YYYY period, that's it. But that's large firms, multinationals etc, be careful with smaller ones as you may have a vindictive supervisor etc

I would be on the safe side regarding jacking or sacking, give the w*nkers your resignation and then doddle the last few days away - at their expense of course !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MBC1

I wouldn't say you quit your job to look for full time work it doesn't sound very good quitting before you have a new one not very plausible. What line of work are you in? You could say that you were a casualty of the recession. Or how long were you in your position maybe you could say you were doing a contract that had expired. Also I wouldn't advise you to tell too many porkies as it is very easy to get found out and it might only come back to bite you. Employers know how hard it is out there at the moment and short explained gaps in your CV are acceptable, certainly better than making up elaborate stories! Good luck in your job hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

MBC1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say you quit your job to look for full time work it doesn't sound very good quitting before you have a new one not very plausible. What line of work are you in? You could say that you were a casualty of the recession. Or how long were you in your position maybe you could say you were doing a contract that had expired. Also I wouldn't advise you to tell too many porkies as it is very easy to get found out and it might only come back to bite you. Employers know how hard it is out there at the moment and short explained gaps in your CV are acceptable, certainly better than making up elaborate stories! Good luck in your job hunt!

i was working in a health food store 12 hours aweek for 1year and 6 months, ya i agree id rather say the less porkies as possible!:D
    i dunno tho about saying i was casualty of recession what if they ask my manager if that was true? thats what i fear!! i only quit the job 2 weeks ago so that isnt too bad i dont have any gaps besides this one! its just explaining why i left is the problem! :(

Advertisement