Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind/solar powered pump.

Options
  • 24-02-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this thread should be in gardening forum but I reckoned there would be more relevant knowledge on this forum.

I am trying to come up with a design for my new garden which is fairly large and drops down over several levels/slopes. I have always liked the idea of a garden stream and luckily there is a large well at the very lowest level of the garden.

I would like to pump the well water up to the top of the garden and then let it flow down via a prepared stream-bed back to the well.

My question is can I do this without having to use mains electricity (no way can I afford that) to power the pump ? Is there such a thing as a pump powered directly by wind/solar, or do batteries need to be used which will then be charged by wind/solar? Water would need to be lifted 15m vertically over a 50m distance.

Appreciate anyone's input on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Yes, this is possible, but to design it yourself is tricky. The voltage from a PV panel, without any regulation, will depend on the power being drawn from it, and the level of light. It doesn't just deliver a straight 12V. A typical 12V panel may have an "open circuit" voltage of 18 or 19V, and under load in poor light, may be delivering millivolts.

The pump would need to be able to cope with the vagaries of this by varying its speed or shutting down. So I would look to one of the many proprietary products out there that do this, unless you are looking for a very large system, in which case I would probably use a battery and voltage regulator to provide a more consistent supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Yes, this is possible, but to design it yourself is tricky. The voltage from a PV panel, without any regulation, will depend on the power being drawn from it, and the level of light. It doesn't just deliver a straight 12V. A typical 12V panel may have an "open circuit" voltage of 18 or 19V, and under load in poor light, may be delivering millivolts.

The pump would need to be able to cope with the vagaries of this by varying its speed or shutting down. So I would look to one of the many proprietary products out there that do this, unless you are looking for a very large system, in which case I would probably use a battery and voltage regulator to provide a more consistent supply.

Hi Quentin,

As for designing this system myself, that was never an option - I am completely ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

I get what you are saying about a PV panel, however the site is an exposed coastal location so I cant help thinking a wind powered pump would function better. We receive limited levels of sunshine here but almost constant winds.

Ideally I would love to source a "mini wind turbine" which could power a pump large enough to carry out this function. After all the stream is just an ornamental feature so there is no need for a guaranteed constant power supply.

You mention in your post " many proprietary products ", would you mind elaborating on these (by pm if forum rules say so).

Thanks for your interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭samsclub

im also looking to power air pumping in to a small 3 foot pond .. any advice be great .

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭samsclub

leaving a pump not working over night and then working again the following morning when light hits her would the air for the fish be enough to keep them alive just gold fish or maybe koi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I'm not sure if this thread should be in gardening forum but I reckoned there would be more relevant knowledge on this forum.

I am trying to come up with a design for my new garden which is fairly large and drops down over several levels/slopes. I have always liked the idea of a garden stream and luckily there is a large well at the very lowest level of the garden.

I would like to pump the well water up to the top of the garden and then let it flow down via a prepared stream-bed back to the well.

My question is can I do this without having to use mains electricity (no way can I afford that) to power the pump ? Is there such a thing as a pump powered directly by wind/solar, or do batteries need to be used which will then be charged by wind/solar? Water would need to be lifted 15m vertically over a 50m distance.

Appreciate anyone's input on this.

What is the height from stream head to bottom of the well. How deep is the well and does the well level vary or always the same. What flow are you looking for; a trickle or a flood?

• Advertisement

2 yo thread Freddy ;):D

2005042e-8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭coillsaille

freddyuk wrote: »
    What is the height from stream head to bottom of the well. How deep is the well and does the well level vary or always the same. What flow are you looking for; a trickle or a flood?

Better late than never Freddy!!:D
    I haven't actually done anything about this project since, but I am still looking out for ideas or suggestions of who best to contact about this type of engineering job.
    The height from stream head to bottom of well would be around 20m. The welll is about 2 m deep. I just want a a trickling stream that will create the sound of running water around the garden.

Stumbled across this interesting bittov bodgineering in my travels. Looks like a < €100 solar solution.

Sealed lead acid battery commonly found in emergency lighting packs and house alarms.
    emer_light1.gif

Advertisement