Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you view your tv these days?

Options
  • 23-02-2012 8:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Simple poll to see what percentage is viewing on a conventional tv/lcd or online/computer.

Why do you choose one or the other?

How do you watch tv these days? 63 votes

TV/LCD....i like the couch and big screen
    0% 0 votes
    Online/Computer....i like to watch on the move
    38% 24 votes
    Both of the above, depending on the day/needs
    12% 8 votes
    Atari Jaguar...used the be an old games console
    49% 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Mostly on tv and just use various players for stuff i forget to sky plus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

75% (approx) of the time, through the internet and then the rest for equally very specific programmes on TV.
    When they are over on TV, we switch off.
    We have no time for other background garbage (especially reality stuff) that does be on screen for the sake of just having something on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Bit of both. I watch the computer when I go to bed each night as I find it difficult to get off to sleep straight away. I'll go home tonight and watch T.V for a while, then laptop it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

I don't really watch Live tv, but I do watch shows on the Big tv while on the couch by means of my laptop connected to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Virtually all conventional TV purely because my internet connection is so flakey/slow, its not able to cope with streaming/downloading in any meaningful way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Mostly on tv and just use various players for stuff i forget to sky plus.

Same here, but I do tend to record stuff and start watching about 15/20 mins in so I can miss the adds.

Catch up on rest with players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

PC, Sky, non Sky STB, consoles are all connected to my tv so everything through my tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

All from the net, all watched on large tv. The only time I watch live tv is for sporting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

99% online. The PS3 is a great media player!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

DeWitt wrote: »
    I don't really watch Live tv, but I do watch shows on the Big tv while on the couch by means of my laptop connected to it.

Same as for me. I very rarely watch actual television programming on the TV, but rather programs on my laptop, or through my laptop on the TV. Or when elsewhere, through PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Realistically the only thing I watch on any of the TV channels is either sport or the odd documentary / comedy. That's about it - everything else is done online via one way or the other.

I don't actually have an official TV package; I pay for UPC's broadband-only service, but because UPC can't turn off the TV connection, I get 17 channels anyway, including basic British + Irish terrestrial channels, along with a few extras like Sky1, Discovery and Comedy Central. So it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

pixelburp wrote: »
    Realistically the only thing I watch on any of the TV channels is either sport or the odd documentary / comedy. That's about it - everything else is done online via one way or the other.

I don't actually have an official TV package; I pay for UPC's broadband-only service, but because UPC can't turn off the TV connection, I get 17 channels anyway, including basic British + Irish terrestrial channels, along with a few extras like Sky1, Discovery and Comedy Central. So it all works out.

Was going to get rid of UPC but I want basic channels like rte 1, 2 and bbc 2 for news mainly, are you saying that if you cancel your digital tv package you still get the analogue feed? Why don't they just cut that off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was going to get rid of UPC but I want basic channels like rte 1, 2 and bbc 2 for news mainly, are you saying that if you cancel your digital tv package you still get the analogue feed? Why don't they just cut that off?
    I probably shouldn't say anything because it'll turn out I'm an anomaly unchecked or something and get myself into bother hehe.

I'll give the facts anyway: basically I pay for the broadband-only package with UPC. Now, part of that package means they have a "broadband-only surcharge" of 8euro extra per month on top of what the broadband costs. I get the broadband through the UPC box in the wall, and without any dodgy fiddling of cables, I appear to get 17 channels including all the terrestrial ones. It certainly appears to be an analogue signal (so not sure how / if I'll be affected by the digital rollover this year).

My only conclusion /theory is that this surcharge covers the fact UPC can't turn off that connection coming in to my house, as the broadband & TV both come down the same cable. It's just a theory, but keep forgetting to research it, and am happy to keep the connection for the odd time I switch on the TV

pixelburp wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't say anything because it'll turn out I'm an anomaly unchecked or something and get myself into bother hehe.

I'll give the facts anyway: basically I pay for the broadband-only package with UPC. Now, part of that package means they have a "broadband-only surcharge" of 8euro extra per month on top of what the broadband costs. I get the broadband through the UPC box in the wall, and without any dodgy fiddling of cables, I appear to get 17 channels including all the terrestrial ones. It certainly appears to be an analogue signal (so not sure how / if I'll be affected by the digital rollover this year).

My only conclusion /theory is that this surcharge covers the fact UPC can't turn off that connection coming in to my house, as the broadband & TV both come down the same cable. It's just a theory, but keep forgetting to research it, and am happy to keep the connection for the odd time I switch on the TV

Interesting, I once took coaxial from upc box and put it directly into tv and had the analogue signal as you say, but I presumed that was cos I was paying for digital service too, interesting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mostly on the TV, although it's online media. Watching on the actual PC wouldn't be that comfortable.
    All I need now is a bigger TV.

Interesting, I once took coaxial from upc box and put it directly into tv and had the analogue signal as you say, but I presumed that was cos I was paying for digital service too, interesting.
    Yup; I can only confirm this is how it works for me, and for all I know this is a legacy of the last resident slipping a 50euro bribe to a UPC technician. I'll probably wake up tomorrow to find white-noise where all my channels were (in which case, fair enough, I won't complain) :D

Mind you, if I am an anomaly, then that surcharge I'm paying for is a bloody cheek, cos it ain't the cheapo TV connection I took it to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

90% TV set... only watch online when there's no other way to see it. Don't really like watching it on a laptop for some reason...

Niles wrote: »
    90% TV set... only watch online when there's no other way to see it. Don't really like watching it on a laptop for some reason...

I never watch on laptop/desktop , would be like going back to the days of 20 inch tv screens ie pointless, I have a 38 inch LCd so 100% of my viewing is on that.

Advertisement