Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy - Lowering the amount?

Options
  • 23-02-2012 6:21pm

Hi all,

Asking this on behalf of a friend, who wants to know on behalf of his wife.

Pretty much, his wife was offered redundancy last year or she could move to a different office within her company. I can't remember what the redundancy amount was, off hand, to be honest, so we'll just say €1,000, to keep numbers simple.

Eventually, they decided to keep her on in her job, so she was pleased (as the other office wasn't a feasible decision, meaning she'd have to take the redundancy).

A year has passed and now the company are giving her the same option again. Redundancy or move to a different office (again, the option to move office is realistically unworkable, so she has to opt for the redundancy).

However, this time, the redundancy amount offered is about half of what it was before (so €500, we'll say).

Pretty much, he wants to know is this the done thing and is there any way of somehow working things to get the higher redundancy rate (he was particularly asking is it legal for the company to do this, but they're a large company so I'm sure they know the law, and i'd imagine it's entirely legal).

Just asked me to throw a thread up here to ask ye guys so...

Cheers to anyone who may have any insights. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Once the sum being offered is greater than the statutory redundancy amount, theres not a lot she can do afaik.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's not that unusual actually; they often don't want people to hang on and see if next year's package will be better.

Thank you very much for the taking the time to reply, guys.

Advertisement