Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline on cyclists and trucks

Options
  • 23-02-2012 4:53pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In case you missed it (which I'm guessing hoping most have)...

Cyclist complains about truck switching lanes and cutting him off. Discussion becomes about cyclists, maybe partly rightly so given too many cyclists go inside a truck, but the cyclist calling it did not seem to do anything wrong.

Cyclist says he had "frog lights", had high-vis and was "lit up like a Christmas tree", but according to the truck company, driver did not see him at all.
    Liveline Podcast - cycling
    dangers from cars & trucks when you're cycling in the city, or is it the other way around?

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2012/pc/pod-v-22021243m04slivelinecycling-pid0-2584416.mp3

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

This is only 54 second long and well worth watching:

4423694926_92a06ed2b2_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

monument wrote: »

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2012/pc/pod-v-22021243m04slivelinecycling-pid0-2584416.mp3

Well that was great fun. I cracked up a bit when the lady came on giving out about the cyclists overtaking the hearse! It just sounded like something out of a Father Ted sketch.

My favourite quotes were:

"Ya wuhent geh ha licence ta drive a wheelbarra, so ya wuhent."
    -Lorry Drive from Tipp.

"And what do you be doin' when you visit the cemetery?"
    -Joe latching onto the misery factor.

It's amazing how Liveline still manages to out-irrationalize the internet when it comes to a debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Cyclist complains about truck switching lanes and cutting him off. Discussion becomes about cyclists, maybe partly rightly so given too many cyclists go inside a truck, but the cyclist calling it did not seem to do anything wrong.

Cyclist says he had "frog lights", had high-vis and was "lit up like a Christmas tree", but according to the truck company, driver did not see him at all.

I heard all of Liveline (sad I know). I was a bit confused by some of the cyclists comments. I cycle the Rock road every morning. He was asked was there a cycle lane and he correctly said there wasnt however there is a very wide bus lane all the way along the Rock road which is mostly empty. He should have pointed out that the lorry pulled in on top of him in the bus lane which would be illegal.
    Also why would he be lit like a Christmas tree at 8.30 on a bright morning. I dont think he came across very well and sounded slightly hysterical. maybe understandable after the fright he got.
    As usual though if I was thinking of starting cycling to work or a parent of teenage children wanting to cycle these type of stories would make me think twice..

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I heard all of Liveline (sad I know). I was a bit confused by some of the cyclists comments. I cycle the Rock road every morning. He was asked was there a cycle lane and he correctly said there wasnt however there is a very wide bus lane all the way along the Rock road which is mostly empty. He should have pointed out that the lorry pulled in on top of him in the bus lane which would be illegal.

The incident seems to have occurred between the junction with Trimleston (near hotel) and Merrion Gates (as he mentions that the truck came out of the vehicles queuing to turn right) where there is no bus lane. I have had a few near misses there as cars end up caught in the right hand lane queue after they exit from the stretch with the bus lane, and then try to pull into the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

This is only 54 second long and well worth watching

That is incredible - should be required viewing for everyone here. Wasn't there stats done of all of the road deaths in dublin city centre recently that found that something like 90% of motorcycling or cycling deaths over the past 10 years were caused by left turning lorries?- Maybe someone here remembers the exact source but i remember being shocked by it at the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Wheely GR8

Don't know why they call it the Live Line ,should be called the Whine Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

eoglyn wrote: »
    Wasn't there stats done of all of the road deaths in dublin city centre recently that found that something like 90% of motorcycling or cycling deaths over the past 10 years were caused by left turning lorries?

~75%.

http://www.dublincycling.com/node/13

It's been a problem for a long time too. At least it's getting some publicity too. Emphasis should be placed on it being a problem that's easily avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That was yesterdays show, there was more crap and nonsense today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Wheely GR8 wrote: »
    Don't know why they call it the Live Line ,should be called the Whine Line.

Ah sure Joe is the voice of the nation don't u know! :D

He also thinks cycling through Dublin is an Extreme sport! :rolleyes: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Where would Ireland be without him? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I recall a comment online asking whom Joe Duffy called when he wanted to complain.

EDIT: Ah, there's the answer: Midweek
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/did-you-hear-the-one-about-joe-duffy-and-the-bold-tv-comedian-2913836.html

Interesting quote out of context:
    I didn't think it was funny, I thought it was tasteless, and insulting to the people who pay David McSavage's and the dwarf's fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

The incident seems to have occurred between the junction with Trimleston (near hotel) and Merrion Gates (as he mentions that the truck came out of the vehicles queuing to turn right) where there is no bus lane. I have had a few near misses there as cars end up caught in the right hand lane queue after they exit from the stretch with the bus lane, and then try to pull into the left lane.

Ah well then it would not be Rock Road but Merrion road. You are entirely correct. There is a fair bit of traffic vying for position to get into correct lane for crossing Merrion gates or going straight ahead and there is also right turning traffic into the car park almost opposite Tara Towers. Only 2 traffic lanes with nowhere to go in case of an emergency. its probably the worst piece of my commute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

This is only 54 second long and well worth watching:
    Indeed, but it looks like he's already started to make his turn when the mirrors are being checked. What happens if the mirror is checked before the truck starts turning?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Indeed, but it looks like he's already started to make his turn when the mirrors are being checked. What happens if the mirror is checked before the truck starts turning?

i think that's at least half the point - the truck will slow down to turn left - so the cyclist, who will be travelling faster at that time should not go up the inside and expect that the truck will see the cyclist and slow down making the turn -basically if a truck is slowing down coming to a junction on the left the cyclist should not pass out on the inside. The driver of the truck will not see the cyclist.

It might sound obvious but people who drive cars and use bikes might expect HGVs to behave in the same way - and they don't, this video explains why. Just another thing to be aware of.

I think that all HGVs over 7500kgs now have to be fitted with 'cycleops' mirrors to improve the situation - i still wouldn't trust them to see you though.

A good idea of the blind spots of trucks when straight is in shown in the image in the second post. Here it is again:

4423694926_92a06ed2b2_o.jpg

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That was yesterdays show, there was more crap and nonsense today.

Two shows since the link I posted:

Liveline Podcast - cyclists, pedestrians and trucks
    it's not just cyclists that pose problems - pedestrians too need to be more aware in traffic

Liveline Podcast - cycling
    Martin, Ben, Pat and Fidelma want to highlight the dangers for truck & bus drivers from careless cyclists

...on Monday, I'm expecting something on motorists! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Wheely GR8

I use a simple rule when driving or cycling near a truck ,if I can't see the truck driver ,they can't see me.
    It's quite easy to see the driver through their big mirrors.

Advertisement