Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Safety Week Demonstration in SU Courtyard

Options
  • 23-02-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Having attended the absolutely fantastic display on the Plaza last year as well as the talk in the Monnet afterwards, I decided I'd head along to this year's version.

To say I was disappointed was an understatement. It was embarrassing to watch and not a patch on the previous one. I don't know if it was organised by staff/SU previously or if budget cuts meant it couldn't be run like it was 12 months ago but it was comical.

Last year we had a 'crash', the Gardai, ambulance and fire service show up with sirens on, play the emergency talk as they identified injuries/seriousness/fatalities, cut the roof of the car our and extracted a victim while also breathalyzing a 'driver' and arresting him. Many hundreds of people were there (far more than today and without the added numbers of people who were sitting around eating outside the SU shop), even a secondary school year turned up to watch.

This year we had no emergency services, plenty of laughter at the 'crash' and aftermath, comical blood and just a generally unserious and poor show with volunteers just falling to the ground.

Thought I'd register this here and maybe copy it in an email to the SU but as I'm not a student anymore, not sure.

Anyone else go? Was it as bad as I thought or am I just comparing it to a top effort from last year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Apparently the emergency services are not currently offering demonstrations (resource cut backs I imagine)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Maybe this is my own fault but I didn't even know they were doing a demonstration.... I remember getting a load of emails about the demonstration last year... but can't remember seeing an emails about it or any Facebook statuses on the SU page...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

bazkennedy wrote: »
    Apparently the emergency services are not currently offering demonstrations (resource cut backs I imagine)

I'm sure the voluntary services would be delighted to show off their skills and equipment if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Maybe this is my own fault but I didn't even know they were doing a demonstration.... I remember getting a load of emails about the demonstration last year... but can't remember seeing an emails about it or any Facebook statuses on the SU page...

I got emails about it for sure, they were to my staff email though. Don't remember if I got any to my student email address.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Cossax wrote: »
    I got emails about it for sure, they were to my staff email though. Don't remember if I got any to my student email address.

I'm open to correction but I don't think there was an all student email sent around about it... The only emails I have from the Union over the past week are the SUCommunications one about Charity Week, and Derek's general one.

It's very possible I deleted without reading by accident but I'm pretty sure I didn't. Shame really, thought the road safety week was very poorly promoted this year when compared to last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Don't think I got one either,
    Lest it was slipped in to one of their bigger ones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I don't know about last year but it was a poorly organised event that caused more confusion than awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

at least the cars at both gates got plenty of attention. plenty of students / passers-by stopped to read the info, and if the message gets home to even a few people then its well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Can't believe there wasn't a big sign beside the two cars at the gates saying ''road safety week'' or ''slow down'' or something along those lines. Anybody who doesn't go to UL that were driving past would have presumed the car(s) were abandoned at the gates as a result of joyriding (a name associated with Limerick).
    To go back on point, yes I reckon the display at the courtyard was very comical, but at least Paddy done ok with the speech afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

agreed that the cars got attention but some people thought they were burnt out an abandoned. signage would be a good idea for next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement