Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom Teeth Pain!Reluctant Removal?

Options
  • 23-02-2012 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi There,

So I was in some pain on lower right side of mouth so i popped along to the dentist to see what the story was. He was super blasé which normally I'm all for but he was like, what do you want me to do wave a magic wand, i said well maybe an xray?

He said fine we'll xray, oh ya horizontal wisdom tooth that will never erupt, that'd explain the pain. So next step, oh get over yourself, loads of people going around with teeth like that, removal would be drastic, see you in a year!

I was like the pain, told him i was taking ibuprofen and putting on a topical gel! He said ya that's grand, bye!

So I'm still in pain....I'm thinking a week until I find a second opinion.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with a dentist reluctant to offer any kind of treatment? Is it just a grim and bear it job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Quite a few 'dentists' are what I call cosmetic dentists and what you want is a surgical dentist.

Not saying that a horizontal wisdom tooth is nice or even removable without a major surgical procedure requiring hospital, you'll find a reluctance to do routine extractions.

I've lost about three teeth to one of these and the most recent eruption was n January this year and I'm now 56 ~ so I would urge you to get a much clinical information as you can.

If you are near a dental training hospital it might be worthwhile getting them to have a look, if it has to go to surgery, they'll be able to follow it all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Curlym0zzy wrote: »
    Hi There,

So I was in some pain on lower right side of mouth so i popped along to the dentist to see what the story was. He was super blasé which normally I'm all for but he was like, what do you want me to do wave a magic wand, i said well maybe an xray?

He said fine we'll xray, oh ya horizontal wisdom tooth that will never erupt, that'd explain the pain. So next step, oh get over yourself, loads of people going around with teeth like that, removal would be drastic, see you in a year!

I was like the pain, told him i was taking ibuprofen and putting on a topical gel! He said ya that's grand, bye!

So I'm still in pain....I'm thinking a week until I find a second opinion.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with a dentist reluctant to offer any kind of treatment? Is it just a grim and bear it job?

Pain should not be dismissed.
    Maybe the dentist did not think that it is was the wisdom tooth that was actually causing your pain, it might just be there as a coincidence and your pain is from your ear/ jaw joint/ sensitive roots etc etc...
    Saying that, the wisdom tooth is a likely candidate...
    Go see an oral surgeon for another opinion.
    Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Curlym0zzy

Hi Guys,

Thanks for you're feedback.

I did explain to him that the pain was pretty localized to the gum area, but was constant. Pain is so relative it's hard to measure so I didn't go overboard on how sore it is.

He said the gum area was much thinner and prone to infection/Ulcers and some pain but that extraction was drastic. I had the feeling he was in a bit of a hurry!!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Curlym0zzy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for you're feedback.

I did explain to him that the pain was pretty localized to the gum area, but was constant. Pain is so relative it's hard to measure so I didn't go overboard on how sore it is.

He said the gum area was much thinner and prone to infection/Ulcers and some pain but that extraction was drastic. I had the feeling he was in a bit of a hurry!!

M

Mmmmmm, leaving an untreated infection risk is also drastic....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

The second best thing I ever did was seek a second opinion about my wisdom teeth. The best thing I ever did was having them taken out by the oral surgeon who gave the second opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Curlym0zzy

Thanks again for the feedback. Most people I've spoken to opted for removal. It's just I'd normally presume professional knows best!

I'll see on Monday if inflammation and pain have died down but so far constant agony :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Go see an oral surgeon and get it removed. I can PM you the name of one that will see you tomorrow if you want and are in pain.

Advertisement