Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

data on irish driving test theory

Options
  • 23-02-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

hello all

a question here...

if someone ever tried to look in to irish driving test theory cd and how all the questions and answers are stored... i mean what format...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I've my theory test this weekend, and have the CD in me laptop here.

Its stored in a .enc file and its encrypted to bits. They charge for the questions so I'd imagine they don't want somebody coming along and stealing them, or using them in their own software.

I'm not sure if the questions are copyrighted, but I'd look into it before you release anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭adigilani

that .enc part i figured out too myself...
    don't know what is the base format in the .enc
    i wanna build a phone app but not for the release purposes but for a small competition here in my college... and don't wanna go through the trouble of typing all myself... that is all..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

adigilani wrote: »
    i wanna build a phone app but not for the release purposes but for a small competition here in my college... and don't wanna go through the trouble of typing all myself... that is all..

I got a response from the RSA a few days ago about not being allowed to develop an Android app because Prometric are paid to do it (they don't but they claim to have mobile apps)

But once it is not released it should be ok, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I got a response from the RSA a few days ago about not being allowed to develop an Android app because Prometric are paid to do it (they don't but they claim to have mobile apps)

But once it is not released it should be ok, probably.

But not copyrighted though ..? Because I would have a problem with that, the RSA is a statutory organisation that reports to the department of transport. Which in fact makes the major stakeholders the citizens of Ireland.

I don't think the citizens of Ireland would have any problem with someone making available the information used to assess learner drivers, which to be honest the sole purpose of the information is to make the roads in this country a safer place.

Unless it's a money racket, which is unacceptable especially when lives are at stake (as the RSA repeatedly say).

It might be worth further investigation if you really did want to make an App.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'd imagine the reason the RSA don't won't every Tom,Dick and Harry making apps and such is that a tender went out on all that theory test stuff and Prometric won that tender. Therefore they would be the only ones allowed to release theory test related stuff as per that tender.

I'm sure there would also be a difference between releasing a free app and a paid app but I'm no legal eagle so I'll leave that to someone else :pac:

• Advertisement

k.p.h wrote: »
    But not copyrighted though ..? Because I would have a problem with that, the RSA is a statutory organisation that reports to the department of transport. Which in fact makes the major stakeholders the citizens of Ireland.

I don't think the citizens of Ireland would have any problem with someone making available the information used to assess learner drivers, which to be honest the sole purpose of the information is to make the roads in this country a safer place.

Unless it's a money racket, which is unacceptable especially when lives are at stake (as the RSA repeatedly say).

It might be worth further investigation if you really did want to make an App.

Contracted out to them and they could allow permission to any other group to do any official app for it.

So I am sure it is legal to make up my own sample questions and release it even under the name but not using any official pid for material.

It is a money racket and a bad one, 5 euro for not even a proper app. It needs a proper app and I would want to make it but I can't and no one else can besides those who bought/won the sole rights to the material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Ah.. A tender went out, makes sense now. That two relativity dumb post by me in the Dev forum in one week.

All the same it's pretty poor system considering the content, very Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

In fairness you don't want lots of free unofficial apps out there either with possibly wrong info in them. There should be some form of quality control where possible so I can understand them not giving permission for it in an official capacity.

There currently is no apps and the data would not be wrong if they provided free access online to the material instead of making cheap money off of bad products.

If there was an official app released (by anyone) or even proper free access online then it would be fine too.

Advertisement