Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers/ribbons for decorating wedding cake

Options
  • 23-02-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello.
    I am making a wedding cake for a friend's wedding at the end of March. I have practised making the cakes, and icing them, and I am confident enough in doing those bits. I have done a few trials and they turned out ok! However, I am unsure how to decorate the cake and what would look best. I have never done a wedding cake before, so any advise would be appreciated! I am considering ribbons or flowers (sugarpaste). I know the colour scheme, so its just deciding what to use...

Flowers - if I use flowers, is it ok to buy ready-made sugarpaste flowers? and if so, how are they stuck onto the cake? Is it glycerine, or edible glue? or how do people generally do it? I have looked online & in Kitchen Complements etc....

Question re ribbons - are actual ribbons used, or is a ribbon of coloured icing used? just wondering what happens when the cake is cut if there is a real ribbon?

Finally, is the cake board normally covered with sugar paste too?

Thanks in advance!
    Karrie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mewa

hi,
    Little sugar flowers can look great on cakes and are usually attached using royal icing.

Real ribbons can be used-they are easily removed when the cake is cut.

icing the cake board gives a nice finished look to the cake.

Maybe look at some sugarcraft books or websites for ideas. Squires-shop.com is a great site to browse too.

Good luck with the cake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

A great look is real ribbon with a sparkly brooch which you can pick up in the likes of Penney's or Forever 21.

Advertisement