Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

domain renewal with different registrar

Options
  • 22-02-2012 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I have a .com domain that is due to expire within the next week. I wish to register it again, but I wish to use a different registrar.

What's the best way of approaching this without incurring additional costs?

Should I transfer it now and renew it with the new company?
    Should I let it fall into the Redemption Grace Period and try to register it then via a new registrar?
    Other?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Transfer it now. You should get a 1 year extension so it will expire next week + 1 year. Thats how it worked my domain using Wupav anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

And doing that would only cost me the normal registration price (i.e. the cost for 1 year)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Polar Ice wrote: »
    And doing that would only cost me the normal registration price (i.e. the cost for 1 year)?

Yes, but just to clarify.... renewing a domain name will and should only cost the same as a new registration or less.

...and its important to let you know that.. some host will revert the dns of expired domain names to their own until a renewal payment is made. So because that's a week away... your site might go down while the transfer is processed, which can take 7-10days usually.

I would advise you to renew the domain name with your current provider and then decide to move it away from that provider when your ready, 1,2,3 weeks from now.

Its only new domain name registrations that are limited to a 60day transfer window.

Renew now = +1 years extension
    Ready to move = +1 years extension
    = 2 years remaining on the domain name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I would move now. I have never had a com domain take longer then 2-3 days to transfer fully. The transfer fee is normally the same as the normal registration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

A .com transfer can take up to 5 days to complete assuming that it is unlocked and the transfer is confirmed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement