Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you buy a rear wheel off the shelf ?

Options
  • 22-02-2012 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

Just showing my ignorance here a bit.

Some bikes have 11 speed casettes, some 10, some 9, some 8, some 7.

Is a wheel which takes a 10 speed casette the same as a wheel which takes a 7 speed ?

One of my old bikes has a 7 speed cassette, the wheel need replacing.
    Can I buy a wheel off the shelf ?
    Does it have to be a wheel made specifically for a 7 speed cassette ?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes, you'd need a wheel with a 7 speed hub. That's a bit dated, so you may have to get one built. There's the possibility of putting a 7 speed cassette on a newer 8/9/10 speed hub with spacers, but I'm not sure if the cassettes use the same splines or indeed if the axle length on newer wheels is longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

It's getting hard to find wheels with 7 speed freehub bodies these days but any newer wheel(8,9,10 speed) will work fine with a spacer, Halo make a nice spacer with cut outs as most(if not all) Shimano 7 speed cassettes have either small hex bolts or rivets holding them together which protrude at the back of the large sprocket, you can of course just get an ordinary alu' spacer and file it a bit to allow for this, either way you can find a wheel any where that will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Don't forget to check your high limit screw on the derailleur after you install your new wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

A 7 speed hub will most likely be 126mm wide. The newer hubs will most likely be 130mm, no?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

My hybrid has Shimano 8 speed Sora hub, but is fitted with a spacer to accommodate the 7 speed cassette.

• Advertisement
Advertisement