Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Service Brake Visit Workshop" Merc ClS??

Options
  • 22-02-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I have been getting this error intermittently over the last days on my 2006 CLS petrol with about 123,000km.

I have googled and there are threads stating that it could be the brake light switch, the SBC unit or the fact that after a certain number of brake pedal pushes something needs to be changed or reset. Some on UK forums say that the unit may be changed free under warranty.

So- I don't know what is wrong.

Anybody care to enlighten me please rather than have Mercedes lighten my wallet?

Many thanks,

Richard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It could be a number of different things. The only real way of knowing would be to put it on a diagnostic computer and see what faults are coming up. Try a good independant garage and you'll get it checked for a lot cheaper than the main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

And who would that be on the Northside of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

No matter what way you go about it someone is gona lighten your wallet, in order to pinpoint the problem your motor is going to need to be plugged into a diagnostic computer, most indy's are equipped with these machines now but some opt for cheapo machines and some invest in decent ones with software updates etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

And who would that be on the Northside of Dublin?

My Da has used a guy based in Swords. He's an ex-Main Dealer super mechanic of some sort that's gone out on his own. Apparently it's a case of Local garage prices with above Main Dealer service. Needless to say my Da is not normally a fan of mechanics but had nothing but praise for this guy!
    I'll hunt out his details and pm them on if you'd like.

That'd be brilliant. Thanks.

• Advertisement

PM Sent.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

wouldn't mind the details of that chap myself if he's good. Any danger of a PM?Thanks

wouldn't mind the details of that chap myself if he's good. Any danger of a PM?Thanks

No worries. PM Sent. Like I said the auld man swears by him. About 6 months ago the guy was able to fix a problem that totally stumped 4 other mechanics including a main service dealer too.

Thanks a million. Prior to going anywhere or spending any money, I checked all the pads and sensors today- found them all perfect.

I also took the brake switch out of the car, gave it a squirt of contact cleaner and reinstalled it, taking care to extend the length of actuating bar prior to fitment.

The light has stayed off for a few days. Here's hoping it doesn't come back. If it does I will follow up with the guy recommended by Wheresmycamera.

Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 A.V.F082

I had something like that to ,so the problem with service brake visit workshop mean that your ABS pump rich the finish off life but this is only in software and this is a issue from mercedes and if the car is 10 years old not more you have to go to any autorized mercedes garages an ask to replace you abs unit this is for free ,if they don't want you are not a liky guy and you need to argue with them a lot and ask them to give a paper to confirm that they don't want to replace for free and send this paper to germany factory .Or if you want quick way sorted out go to some local garages wich has a tester for mercedes and they can change the software and will give you another 10 years life this cost 100-140 euro in Dublin i know a very good electric who did allready that and is working perfect i had on my merc replace the software wich passed 10 years

Brake service visit workshop in white color is nothing wrong with your car is bad only when is in red . And this problem when is in white mercedes invented to make more monney but people demonstrated that they are wrong and any autorized garages has to replace abs unit for free now if car is no older than 10 years.
    If is in red color that means you have to replace abs unit from your poket wich will cost you 1400 euro in dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

The service threshold/operating time needs to be checked on a Mercedes Star Diagnosis and software reprogrammed if possible which is not always the case. The SBC unit may need to be replaced and there is no guarantee this will be covered under warranty from mercedes. The service threshold/operating time check is part of the yearly service on any Mercedes that has SBC but the reprogramming is a chargeable item. I am also an ex-merc main dealer mechanic.

Lads, this was two years ago, prob was resolved and I no longer own car

Advertisement