Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookshop in The Liberties Dublin?

Options
  • 22-02-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm a journalism student in DIT and I'm writing a piece in The Liberty newspaper about the absence of a good bookshop in the Liberties are of Dublin.

If anyone knows any information as to why there isn't a bookshop there or when did the area most recently have a bookshop could you please comment below or e-mail me at mcquaid123@gmail.com

Any information at all would be a great help!!!

Thanks,

Claire

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The answer is obvious - demand and supply. There is only really room for a handful of good independent bookshops in the city and they all co-exist within a mile of each other (From Chapters in the North to Hodges in the South - the gutter bookshop, books upstairs etc. in the middle)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Claireyy

yeah sorry in hindsight that may have been a stupid question... there is obviously not a demand for books in the Liberties area... you wouldn't happen to know the most recent bookshop that was situated in the Liberties/Meath St/Thomas St area would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I've been living in the area since around 2006, and there hasn't been any bookshop in the Liberties since then at least. I would think the answer lies in something similar to what the other poster posted. Demand for a bookshop in an area immediately beside a big city will always be limited. Then you add the fact that bookshops in the big city itself are closing down, and it'd be a fool who opens a bookshop in the liberties. The last one close to that area that I remember is the dandelion or something like that, but that was on Aungier Street, so not quite the liberties.

Thanks for that Toby. I appreciate the reply!

Toby would I be able to get your second name incase I want to quote you in my article?

• Advertisement

Claireyy wrote: »
    Toby would I be able to get your second name incase I want to quote you in my article?

I'll PM you.

that would be great thanks!

You should have a PM in your inbox.

I don't semm to have gotten it?

got it! Thanks for all your help! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

Back in 1974 my best friend and I started a book stall in the Liberties market in Meath st to fill what we thought was a market niche in the area. We got a reputation for being "Rebels" because we had a stock of books on politics, but the only books that really sold were Mills and Boone.

Advertisement