Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Picking first Mens Commute bike

Options
  • 22-02-2012 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,

I know this has been covered before but I just want to ask advice relating to my personal circumstances

I need to pick out a bike on Saturday in order to avail of the cycle to work scheme. I am interested in hybrid bikes and would be commuting to work each day (Crumlin to city centre).

I have a bad back history and am just getting over two slipped discs so a road bike is out of the question.

Also I haven’t cycled for years so am a complete newbie.

Can anyone recommend shops where I will get sound advice and get to test drive/cycle J

I have been on numerous websites looking at various types but am overwhelmed by the amount of choice out there and terminology used.

Any recommendations on particular bikes that you may deem suitable?
    · Budget @ 500/600 incl equipment
    · Comfortable saddle, good handlebars etc
    · Light enough on road

Love the look of the below bikes. Anyone any experience with these?

http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/crosstown-40-ls

Dawes Diploma Gents

http://www.thinkbike.ie/bike_shop.aspx?Name=Commuting Bikes

Looks are not the most important so any suggestions to narrow down my search would be a great help.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Test drive a Trek 7.1 or 7.2, use that as a reference machine to everything else.

Lady-specific isn't always necessary as long as you get the right fit (assuming you don't cycle in a skirt). Don't let the bike shop hurry you, take your time and make sure fit is right. Check manufacture's website for size guide.

As for a road bike, slipped disc does not necessarily prohibit them if size/fit is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 globe1

Thanks very much for the reply.

Defo wont be wearing skirts, well not outdoors anyways:) as Im a bloke.

will sus out the treks.

Cheers

kuro_man wrote: »
    Test drive a Trek 7.1 or 7.2, use that as a reference machine to everything else.

Lady-specific isn't always necessary as long as you get the right fit (assuming you don't cycle in a skirt). Don't let the bike shop hurry you, take your time and make sure fit is right. Check manufacture's website for size guide.

As for a road bike, slipped disc does not necessarily prohibit them if size/fit is right.

Treks look pretty cool and seem light...going to defo try them for sure.

Wanted a vintage looking type one like the balmoral claude butler but perhaps that a bit too granddaddish

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭part time punk

I got a Trek hybrid for a very similar commute (Drimnagh to city centre) a couple of years ago. Commuting is basically all I do on it. It's grand, does the job ok but hard to get too excited about. I do sometimes wish I'd spent more (money and time) and got a better bike and I'd use it more. I will also admit to frequent cases of bike envy although I'm not a big cycling nerd. I went to the big cycling shop on the Long Mile road, don't think they were great though in hindsight. Do you have to buy it on Saturday, as someone else said taking your time choosing it is probably the most importnat thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

globe1 wrote: »
    Im a bloke.

I thought that Fuji was a lady's bike! But, hey, being a bloke doesn't stop you wearing skirts...1 million scots can't be wrong

• Advertisement

I got a Trek hybrid for a very similar commute (Drimnagh to city centre) a couple of years ago. Commuting is basically all I do on it. It's grand, does the job ok but hard to get too excited about. I do sometimes wish I'd spent more (money and time) and got a better bike and I'd use it more. I will also admit to frequent cases of bike envy although I'm not a big cycling nerd. I went to the big cycling shop on the Long Mile road, don't think they were great though in hindsight. Do you have to buy it on Saturday, as someone else said taking your time choosing it is probably the most importnat thing.

Just found out that work said there is no strict deadline so will take my time for sure...am testing some tomorrow in the kimmage shop icycle...bloke I was chatting to in there seems pretty sound and helpful

love the vintage looking ones though but they aren't the most practical.

cheers

kuro_man wrote: »
    I thought that Fuji was a lady's bike! But, hey, being a bloke doesn't stop you wearing skirts...1 million scots can't be wrong

very true kuro man :D

Advertisement