Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicked out of repeat course....help!

Options
  • 22-02-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi there, my attendance at my college for my repeat course has been very bad and they gave me one warning (p.s i have actual reasons such as family etc and cant exactly avoid them) so i missed alot of classes and since the warning my attendance did improve but one of my teachers reported it to be horrible again so my year head said she is going to ask for a report and if its bad send me to the principals office and its her decision from there.

Fine if i get kicked out i do, but they said i would have to apply as an external candidate which is ****ing retarded cause they would be kicking me out so close to the actual exam and it would cost like 200 for me to take my exams due to late fees, Any advice anyone please?? her advice was attend classes and then they will make a decision on the reports but i mean attending all the time for the next week while they gather their reports will only make like a 3-4% difference in my attendance..........I'm really scared now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

"fine if I get kicked out I do"....."Im really scared now".......

You sound like your left hand doesn't know what your right hand is doing? What age are you? If you registered for a repeat course you have messed up the first time and still have not got yourself or your priorities in order, why would the college keep making exceptions for one chaotic student when they have to put their energies into those actually attending. If you were in employment and were missing time regularly they wouldn't be pardoning your problems either- plenty of people have problems to deal with outside of their work/ study commitments but get the job done anyway.

The only advice anyone could give you is attend and do a good job, stop making excuses and then they're unlikely to throw you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

(p.s i have actual reasons such as family etc and cant exactly avoid them)
    Harsh kob, he has family issues. he should go confide with the Year Head so he/she actually knows why he's missing classes

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

I know from experience of dealing with students that "family problems" is a fairly wide spectrum. You're talking about an adult here who is already on a 2nd chance. If he's got to the stage of being at risk of being thrown out attendance is likely to be regular issue- there are quality assurance issues here and policies to support such.
    There are only a few teaching weeks left in the academic year in reality, they're probably doing him the favour of trying to shock him into sorting himself out. It's rarely as straight forward as the mean college coming the hound on the student.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

I'm in the same situation, I'm afraid I think you're just callous about it all. It's a sad fact that if you work in a job that regularly subjects you to awful circumstances that you become detached from it.

I wish you all the best rainbow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your teacher didn't report you 'to be horrible' - it's a legal requirement.

If you have genuine problems, you should tell someone in the school who can then put a note in the system about it.

Sometimes you just have to get on with it, no matter what else is going on. It's called growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭rainbow66666

its not the getting kicked outt hat really scares me, its the fact that they said its too late to apply as an external student in the school and even if i could there is no way in hell i could afford it. The thing i fear most is not having a place to sit my exams, i can study by myself, its wat i was mainly doing when i had to work or stay of college to look after my grandad who recently got diagnosed with dementia. Them kicking me out this late in the year seems like a total unfair thing to do because there have been other students in my year who have gotten the same warning before christmas and got reported recently but the year head only said to them that if they miss another class they are gone. But in my case she is just basically saying "here is your bad attendance, im refering it to the principal and she can decide". I dont get a warning like the others? and its not like my attendance didnt improve like the others did. I had the warning at christmas and my attendance was almost perfect until i finally found a job that required some weekdays but i need the money for college and can study and attend classes when i can. btw if anyone wants to know, im speaking of the cork college of commerce.

I have a meeting with her tomorrow to talk about my reports and then she is refering them to the principal, but once she mentioned refering them to the principal....i don't know whats going to happen to be honest.

Advertisement