Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What way to run flooring (Livingroom to hallway)

Options
  • 22-02-2012 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi , im thinking of putting a laminate flooring in the living room and continuing it out into the hallway.

I'm wondering what would the best way to run the boards. Ive made up a rough sketch of the layout (with the proposed boards drawn in brown)

I don't think the walls are very square and was thinking of starting parallel with the fireplace in the living room and continuing parallel through the door out to the hall or should i treat the two rooms as separate jobs.

Any advice is appreciated Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

The way you have drawn it will be fine. If you go the other way I would be worried about movement at the door between the hall and livingroom. Plus there would be no staggered joints in the hallway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree with woodturner, also in a narrow hallway like that, having the boards running across the width will look odd in my opinion, and will possibly also make the hallway look narrower than it is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I would be inclined to run them the length of the hall but return them at 90º towards the fireplace so that the boards don't form a perceived barrier at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've got the boards running in the same direction both in my hallway and in my lounge and I don't perceive any barrier at the door? If anything, I'd have said that changing the direction at the door would do precisely that, wouldn't it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Possibly.
    I ran boards across a doorway in one room because that was the received wisdom - run them towards a window.
    I wish I had gone with my instinct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Thanks for your replies

Should i treat them as two different jobs or could i continue out from living room to hall in the one sweep. If so , what would i do regarding installing a new saddle.( i will also be putting in a brand new door)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ballykev

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies

Should i treat them as two different jobs or could i continue out from living room to hall in the one sweep. If so , what would i do regarding installing a new saddle.( i will also be putting in a brand new door)

Just leave it out completely and let to door down close to flooring to within a 1/8th of an inch should be fine

Advertisement