Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to town, please help me find a church in the Dublin 4 area

Options
  • 21-02-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello, I just moved to Dublin in September and lately have been looking to join a new church. I prefer a non-Catholic Christian church, and I am not too concerned about what denomination (previously attended a non-denominational Christian church). I live in Dublin 4 near the RDS and do not have a car, so I would like if it was something close. I would also really like a church with programs for college-aged adults that I could get involved with, not just a place you show up on Sunday and leave until the next week. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

http://www.stbartholomews.ie/

Anglican Church just by the American embassy with an amazing choir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I can recommend Grosvenor Road Baptist Church in Rathgar, a little bit out from where you are but truly excellent teaching. I know the pastor there and I know what the church is like.

When I get time I'll look a little more thoroughly, but that's a good start in terms of Biblical teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ballsbridge is not exactly overfurnished with churches.

There’s the Catholic church in Haddington Road, but you’ve ruled that out. There’s St. Bartholemew’s, already mentioned. It’s an Anglican church, but it has a very Catholic style of worship, which may not be what you’re looking for.

After that, other churches in Ballsbridge are not exactly leaping to mind.

Philologos suggests Grosvenor Road Baptist Church in Rathgar but, on a Sunday morning, without a car, that’s not all that conveniently accessible from Ballsbridge.

But the City Centre is, because all the buses that go down the Merrion Road will take you into town in a few minutes. On or near to Stephen’s Green you’ve got St. Anne’s in Dawson St (Anglican, but I think more middle-of-the-road that St. Bartholemew’s), the Unitarian Church on Stephen’s Green and St. Mark’s in Pearse Street (Anglican, I think evangelical in style). There’s also Grace Bible Fellowship in Pearse Street; it’s a Baptist congregation. There’s a non-denominational Church of Christ which meets in the Temple Bar Hotel; I don’t know much about them but you could check them out by turning up one Sunday morning. There’s a Vineyard Church meeting at the YMCA at in Aungier St. There’s even a Lutheran Church and a Synagogue on Adelaide Road. If you want Methodism or Presbyterianism you’ll have to cross the river, to Abbey St for the Methodists and Parnell Square for the Presbyterians. And of course there's not one but two Anglican Cathedrals, if a cathedral style of worship is a draw for you.

Basically, if you’re prepared to get on a bus on Sunday mornings, you’re spoiled for choice. Your problem will not be finding a church, but choosing which church is the one for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Peregrinus wrote: »
    and St. Mark’s in Pearse Street (Anglican, I think evangelical in style).

While not immediately apparent from the name, St. Mark's is a Pentecostal Church belonging to the Assemblies of God.

PDN wrote: »
    While not immediately apparent from the name, St. Mark's is a Pentecostal Church belonging to the Assemblies of God.
    My mistake. The building used to be an Anglican church (hence the name) and I had assumed it was an Anglican parish with a particularly evangelical style of worship. I'm grateful to be enlightened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

If you want Methodism or Presbyterianism you’ll have to cross the river

No need to cross the river, Adelaide Road also has a very popular Presbyterian Church

http://www.adelaideroadchurch.ie/

Grosvenor, as I understand it, is pretty much the in-place for Christian college students - go along on a Sunday evening at 7. If you give them a call they may even be able to offer a lift..

John Samuel and the rest of the leadership team are very welcoming. I went one of their three Christmas Carol services - packed out, standing room only. It was really enjoyable with great singing and a great message.

A bike! You need a bike! You could cycle from the RDS to Grosvenor Rd Baptist Church in 15 minutes, no problem. It's between 3 and 4 km, depending on the route you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

There’s even a Lutheran Church and a Synagogue on Adelaide Road. If you want Methodism or Presbyterianism you’ll have to cross the river, to Abbey St for the Methodists and Parnell Square for the Presbyterians.

The Lutheran church has mainly German and Latvian services and only one English speaking service (last Sunday of the month).
    The Synagogue on Adelaide Road has unfortunately closed and is now an office building.
    There is also a Methodist church in Leeson Park, next to the Romanian Orthodox church.

Or you can do a search here .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

philologos wrote: »
    I can recommend Grosvenor Road Baptist Church in Rathgar, a little bit out from where you are but truly excellent teaching. I know the pastor there and I know what the church is like.

When I get time I'll look a little more thoroughly, but that's a good start in terms of Biblical teaching.

Based on your recommendation :) I'll give this option a second hearing.

We've (my wife and myself) been looking around for somewhere to help provide us with, I don't know .. challenge perhaps. Growth maybe..

... and have been a little disappointed with offerings: I don't mean to be uber-critical but a lot of the teaching (including the one sermon I listened to online from Grosvenor) comes across as Christian-lite. The kind of baby-step stuff I heard way back at the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Interesting antiskeptic, I'm basing my experience of it on when John Samuel has spoken to us at university, and the CU leadership training we had there 2 years ago. I'm also basing it on what many of my friends have said about it.

Firstly - What you're going to find on a church website can be very geared towards seekers, I wouldn't necessarily evaluate it 100% by their website, but I know for a fact that they do take an evangelical approach to the Gospel.

Secondly - I understand fully the need for a challenge. I've really appreciated my current church in London for doing that since I've arrived. So I understand your concern entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

PDN wrote: »
    and St. Mark’s in Pearse Street (Anglican, I think evangelical in style).

I remember it getting renovated. :) its a big congregation but a small church when it comes to the core group.

There are also a number of house church /fellowships in the city.

The Irish bible institute would have a list of city churches I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

The Irish bible institute would have a list of city churches I would imagine.

Or try asking Evangelical Alliance Ireland http://evangelical.ie/

You really need to know what type of church you want and then go from there.

Are you looking for pentecostal, house church,fellowship,evangelical,denominational,non denominational.

when that's decided you should be able to find an appropriate assembly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Just a comment about Grosvenor Road that may or may not be relevant to you. The leadership there do not believe in equality of the sexes and that women can preach to men (they argue that men and women are equal but difference, which is evangelical code for unequal.) They buy into a very narrow view of what a leader is. There is also a huge tendency in my experience towards legalism there and it is also known for its cliqueishness. John Samuel is a gifted and gracious preacher however.

As a Presbyterian, I would be inclined to recommend Adelaide Road, but the current minister there, Sam Mawhinney, despite being ordained into a church that has been ordaining women since the seventies, takes a similar tack to John Samuel and his leadership team in terms of women. I would find it difficult to partner in such congregations.

As a woman, I felt this might be pertinent to you.

If I lived in the city centre, I would attend Abbey Presbyterian, which is just beyond the garden of remembrance. It is a little old-fashioned in ways, but has a passionate preacher, Alan Boal, and some truly wonderful congregation members, committed so seeing God's love shape and transform the inner city around it.

Having said all this, I would recommend that you do your level best to not become a church tourist or a church commuter. I recommend getting out on foot and joining the absolute nearest church to you. Church is less about finding somewhere that suits you (despite what I've just written) and more about worshiping as a part of the body to which you locally belong. Pray that God will guide you and place you where he can use you best rather than that you find a church that suits you! :)

Based on your recommendation :) I'll give this option a second hearing.

We've (my wife and myself) been looking around for somewhere to help provide us with, I don't know .. challenge perhaps. Growth maybe..

... and have been a little disappointed with offerings: I don't mean to be uber-critical but a lot of the teaching (including the one sermon I listened to online from Grosvenor) comes across as Christian-lite. The kind of baby-step stuff I heard way back at the beginning.

It is my firm belief that it is the responsibility of individual Christians to nurture their own spirituality - be "self-feeders". If we rely on ministers or worship leaders to "fill us up" we will be sorely disappointed, not to mention unfairly critical of them. Church is where we love, worship and serve, not go to be educated and challenged. Living the faith is challenge enough.

Having said that, I would struggle in a church where your brain had to left at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hannah2011

It is my firm belief that it is the responsibility of individual Christians to nurture their own spirituality - be "self-feeders". If we rely on ministers or worship leaders to "fill us up" we will be sorely disappointed, not to mention unfairly critical of them. Church is where we love, worship and serve, not go to be educated and challenged. Living the faith is challenge enough.

Having said that, I would struggle in a church where your brain had to left at the door.

Depending on what church you're looking for - St. Catherines Church (C.O.R.E.) is a fantastic church. Great congregation and awesome teaching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

A bike! You need a bike! You could cycle from the RDS to Grosvenor Rd Baptist Church in 15 minutes, no problem. It's between 3 and 4 km, depending on the route you take.

Could you d it like James joyce without passing a pub?

yu can also go ythe other way Take the LUAS out to dundrum direction or three mins (six by bike) down the N11 you will rind the Anglican one opposite the raddison which has all those signs like "Jesus the carpenter is looking for Joiunbers" qnd "no God no love Know God Know Love"

If you go qs far as Bray ther is a coptic church I think. you are only a few mins fro, UCD where you can look up all the chaplains and ask them about services and courses. Also behind UCD is a Mosque and if you dont like isla,m ther is a great shop for spices olives etc under it.

Milltown also next door to you is a hive of theological colleges Anglican/Roman etc. Opus Dei even have a few houses there! the St john opf gods on, the N11 also do theological courses I think.

Hannah2011 wrote: »
    Depending on what church you're looking for - St. Catherines Church (C.O.R.E.) is a fantastic church. Great congregation and awesome teaching.

I'm sorry but this is definitely a matter of opinion. I have met countless "CORE casualties" down through the years and personally struggle deeply with the teachings of Craig Cooney, although perhaps he was having an off day when I heard him.

Hannah2011 wrote: »

I'm sorry but this is definitely a matter of opinion. I have met countless "CORE casualties" down through the years and personally struggle deeply with the teachings of Craig Cooney, although perhaps he was having an off day when I heard him.
    Would have to agree with neuro on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement