Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog poop incidents!

Options
  • 21-02-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

I was walking my Yorkshire terrier in Dublin this evening and she pooped on the street. I was digging in my pocket for my plastic bag when two women in their 20s across the street started screaming and cursing at me, telling me that I and my dog were "f*cking disgusting" and that I should "pick up that f**king crap".

They started coming my direction and I held up the plastic bag and said "er, that's what I'm doing!". Still more screaming and cursing ensued. I was shaking and could think of nothing clever or witty to say other than "ah, f**k off".

I'm pretty vigilant about picking up poop because there is so much on the streets. A colleague of mine says he's really tired of getting it on the wheels of his baby's buggy, and I'm not too keen on stepping on it myself. And I understand not everyone is a dog lover.

Has anyone else ever encountered such angry behaviour?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Yes.. At the beach, Tide out, early evening, i was coming out of the water after a swim, my little jrt took a little dump at the edge. I am clearly not carrying any bags in my swim suit but heading to my pile of clothes to get one, when a walker roars at me to clean it up.. Grrr.

I think us lucky dog lovers have to feel sorry for these uptight people who aren't as fortunate to have lovely doggies in their lives..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Newsgirl

You'll have to get some class of bumbag to carry poop bags when swimming:-)
    All I can put it down to is all dog-owners getting lumped into one negligent group because a minority don't pick up the poop. But I'm just not ready for some misjudged confrontation!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

I always pick up after my dog, however with the amount of sh*t lying around, I'd happily shout at someone who I felt was not going to pick up theirs. I can also understand why it annoys people so much, it annoys me, and I love all dogs!

Well, I'd never shout at anyone for not picking up poop:-) If I felt the person in question didn't look like they were cleaning up the mess and I was fairly confident they wouldn't kick my ass, I'd walk up to them and quietly but firmly point it out.

I've offered people a bag a few times. That usually gets them.

• Advertisement

That's a good compromise, Shhh. Will carry extra in future:-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Shhh wrote: »

Lol! That's what I do too, and in a sweeter than sweet voice say "oops! Did you forget to bring a bag?"
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I was walking Ozzie last week when he went for a poo on the grass beside a road.I took a bag out of my pocket and was holding it ready to scoop and a car started beeping at me?hahaha do they want me to catch it as it comes out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Shhh wrote: »

That's exactly what I do too!

Yeah I've had a couple of incidents, for a start when people see me out with all my dogs they immediately presume my dogs are responsible for all the poo on the streets in our village, despite the fact that I'm having to manouver my buggy around the bombs like I'm going through a mine-field!

I had one woman ask if I had poo bags "for all those dogs", I replied that I had and she demanded to see them!!!!

My mother was tacked on the beach too, as she was reaching into her handbag for poo bags and woman came up to her and roared at her to pick up the poo, my mother waved the bag in her face and asked if she should tie the bag around the dog's bum permenantly that way there wouldn't even be a second's delay in bagging the poo! I love my Mam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Newsgirl wrote: »
    Well, I'd never shout at anyone for not picking up poop:-) If I felt the person in question didn't look like they were cleaning up the mess and I was fairly confident they wouldn't kick my ass, I'd walk up to them and quietly but firmly point it out.

I'm not saying that my first resort would be to go yelling into someones face, what I meant (but mustn't have made clear), is that I , personally , can understand why people become so incensed over constantly having to put up with feces lying around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Newsgirl wrote: »
    Has anyone else ever encountered such angry behaviour?!

What you have described there is assault, and should it happen again, take the persons picture with your phone and pretend to ring the gards right there in front of them and say down the phone, 'Hi, I'm at such and such a place and have just been assaulted, the people are still here and I'm afraid for my safety'.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

bray promenade last week, my dog took a poop not even finished a lady comes over to me and asks 'excuse me excuse are you not going to pick that up' walking off i heard her say thats a disgrace, i had a bag in my pocket so i said feck her and left it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

luckyfrank wrote: »
    bray promenade last week, my dog took a poop not even finished a lady comes over to me and asks 'excuse me excuse are you not going to pick that up' walking off i heard her say thats a disgrace, i had a bag in my pocket so i said feck her and left it

That's great, it'll certainly make perfect sense to the next person who comes along and stands in it as to why you did that :rolleyes:

luckyfrank wrote: »

Way to stick it to the man.

The worst thing about D15 is the horse mess. It's about 10 times worse than dog poo and stays there a week longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pdmc

This drives me mad. The footpaths around my estate are littered with it. There are signs everywhere threatening fines and yet the place is destroyed. A friend of ours is constantly whinging about getting it on the wheels of her baby's buggy.
    While I firmly believe that there is no excuse for not cleaning up after a dog and that responsible dog owners should always carry poo bags on their person (apart from when swimming) I have a puzzler for you. This is something that's bothered me since I got the first dog almost two years ago.
    What do the folks here do when the dog squats down and ejects what can only be described as 'poo-soup'? This has happened with my dogs from time to time and I was completely unable to pick it up. Any ideas? Should I carry some sort of backpack with a pressurised water spray bottle and a bottle of Jeye's Fluid everywhere I go? Should I try to pick it up with the bag on my hand and end up destroyed in the stuff myself? Should I just leave it and come back later and try to clear it up - somehow? Should I dig up the area of grass and come back and add some topsoil and grass seed to make amends? What? Where is the line drawn on this? Will our dogs shortly end up wearing nappies like the horses in Killarney? I know it might seem like I'm being facetious but I'm being serious here.
    Also... My partner and I tend to walk our dogs in the estate where we live. Does anyone else find it a bit rich that there are no bins to dispose of bagged poo in the very same housing estates that have signs threatening fines on every corner? Is this because the estate has not been taken in hand by the council yet - or is it just because you're meant to carry the bag of poo in your hand all the way home as a clear identifier that you are some kind of unclean outcast harbouring animals that foul the streets?
    Finally, I hope I'm never put in a situation where I'm being verbally abused by a stranger about dog poo when I'm stuck without a bag - but this has only rarely happened that I do find myself without one.
    However, if it happens that I have a few bags I will be making a point of informing the stranger that I do pick up my dogs sh!t and if they're so concerned they can have a few of my spare poo-bags and go around picking up the other cr@p that's bothering them so much as to accost an innocent stranger about it. Alternatively, you could just bend down and address the dog and say something like:
    “Don’t mind that nasty, bitter person accusing you of fouling the streets when I always clear up after you! It’s not their fault they’re so ignorant. Good girl!”

Oh The dilemmas of being caught bagless..There's so much litter around the parks in Dublin, even if he does an extra pooh and I've no bag there is usually a crisp bag or something big enough floating around to deal with a little JRT pooh..I've even resorted to using a big chestnut tree leaf once!

Great thread newsgirl, it's given me a few giggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Captain cabbage

I clean up after everyine.elses dog on our road. 15 plus a day. Everyone gives a ****...thats the problem hahah.

Greenhills Dublin 12 to name and shame the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭apache

Some people are good at picking up, others don't give a ****.

Last week the dog had the squirts. You can't pick up after that. I had to leave it. It was terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Worse again are the ones who bag the poop and throw it into the bushes. If they threw the unbagged poop into the bushes, it would degrade naturally, albeit polluting all around. But the feckin plastic bags will last for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

These pick up your poop brigade seem to lead a pathetic and boring life.

When I bought our site there was also a decent few acres of forest and undesirable land. I let our GSD off but supervise her incase she sees a fox/badger/hedgehog (he somehow dropped a hedgehog at my feet one day wth). Obviously I'm not going to pick up his poop on land that is only used by us.

Some old biddy appears out of nowhere screaming to pick up the poop and there is poop everywhere and she is calling the dog warden and Gardai. Absolute nut job thought she had the right to see proof I owned the land. Then proceeds to tell me my devil dog should be muzzled and on a lead even on private land, and that there is something wrong with people who keep Hitler dogs. I have paid to see less funny comedians.

Yes I pick up poop in public areas and my garden but not on land that shouldn't have trespassers. It amuses me how fast poop disappears between birds and insects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

I don't understand all this. Why do dog owners not train the dog to do its business on their own property before taking it for a walk. I see two who live near me who clearly take their dog out onto the local green to do its business. They do pick it up but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

We have a neighbour who lets their dog out to **** on the grass every morning. They were asked many times to stop and have ignored it. I sometimes pick it up in a bag and leave it on their doorstep. It's laziness with some people, if you own a dog you need to pick up after them, how big of a deal is it to carry bags with you, pick it up and drop it into a bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

You clearly are not a dog owner. It's just not reasonable to ask people to wait on their own property until the dog does its business. The dog goes when it is ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Happened to me once right in the middle of the village. Had to leg it home, mortifying 😰

Edit: I obviously meant my dog got the **** and not me 🙈🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Gardaí let their horses shït everywhere when on horseback patrol. If any member of the public did that they’d be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Don’t get me started on neighbours who think it’s ok to let their cats roam and spray and soil my garden. Flowerbeds, veg Patch, fruit plants etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Understandable, many people are sick to the back teeth of getting disease ridden "fur baby" sh1t plastered on their shoes and stroller wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

I know quite a few who do but won't let their dog use that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

We have a garden and our dog does go there, but you can't guarantee it. He gets walked first thing in the morning and I dont have time to wait for him to go in the back garden before bringing him for his walk or I'll be late for work. Also the exercise can sometimes get things moving a bit. So i find that he tends to go on his walks regardless of whether he has gone in the garden or not. But I always pick it up,even if i run out of bags i would either find a bit of rubbish or something or go home, get a bag and go back to find it. It drives me mad when others dont clean up after their dog!

Advertisement