Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu on android

Options
  • 21-02-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

This has to be the best idea ever thought of by Mr. shuttleworth
    it a phone but a pc when it is connect to a screen
    it runs android on the phone and ubuntu when it connected to a screen
    http://goo.gl/PPAhp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bah! Video removed. :(

I think that's a very good / genius idea. It's more or less what motorola were looking for with the xoom. Linux desktop in my pocket? Yes please. I'd be more interested in the linux side of things than the android though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Here's that same video:

Very impressive!

Khannie wrote: »
    Bah! Video removed. :(.
    it was semi private by link only , when it was leaked they must have took it down

Bah! Video removed. :(
    Yes please. I'd be more interested in the linux side of things than the android though.
    android run on the same keneral(linux)

i dont see why people think their difference, as android is a linux os
    is their a difference?

• Advertisement

That video is super, super sexy. Very much want.
    bpb101 wrote: »
    i dont see why people think their difference, as android is a linux os
    is their a difference?

There are differences alright. Android doesn't use X for example. That's a huge thing and rules out the vast majority of apps that you use on your linux desktop.

That video is super, super sexy. Very much want.

There are differences alright. Android doesn't use X for example. That's a huge thing and rules out the vast majority of apps that you use on your linux desktop.
    i dont use android , so i never had much interest

my point is the android isent out on its own , it falls under the linux os group although both ubuntu and android are completely different

OSI wrote: »
    That's like saying my washing machine and Ubuntu are the same because they both use a Linux Kernel.
    cool washing machine
    but without the kernel neither would exist

p.s. your washing machine will live longer with calgon

my point is the android isent out on its own , it falls under the linux os group although both ubuntu and android are completely different

Well.....I was super excited about getting a phone with a linux base on it, coming from using an iPhone. Turns out there's feck all you can do on the linux side of things. Android is like a java layer on top and all the android apps are written for that java layer. There are some exceptions. You can get a busybox shell for example. It has limited usefulness compared to your usual shell though.

Anyway, I still like this quite a bit. If I could run a full on arm linux distro on it, that would really get my geek on.

i think i read on eweek (redirection from linux.com) that it plans to launch late 2012.
    ill have a look for a linux later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That is so cool.
    I want!
    But when they say dock the phone is it a special dock or only certain phones. The only mobile I had that had docks was the Motorola Atrix 4G.

That is so cool.
    I want!
    But when they say dock the phone is it a special dock or only certain phones. The only mobile I had that had docks was the Motorola Atrix 4G.
    motorola have the jump on them asfak

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

Well.....I was super excited about getting a phone with a linux base on it, coming from using an iPhone. Turns out there's feck all you can do on the linux side of things. Android is like a java layer on top and all the android apps are written for that java layer. There are some exceptions. You can get a busybox shell for example. It has limited usefulness compared to your usual shell though.

Anyway, I still like this quite a bit. If I could run a full on arm linux distro on it, that would really get my geek on.

You may find this of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN4c61ETCWg

timbyr wrote: »
    You may find this of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN4c61ETCWg

ubuntu is not made for phone and that why i dont see the point in putting it on

ubuntu is not made for phone and that why i dont see the point in putting it on

I was responding to Khannies wish for an ARM version of Linux to run on it.
    And it is accessible through a VNC client, it doesn't necessarily need to be used through the phone itself.

Yeah, what I had in mind was probably two OS's effectively running on the phone: Android and a base linux distro (which android runs on top of). When docked I'd want to use the base linux distro, when mobile, android ftw.

what the deal on this for the mint guys or feroda or opensus
    can they change the ubuntu bit for mint or others ?

other thing , it features chromium web browser! , I thought Ubuntu was more of a Firefox sort of a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

motorola have the jump on them asfak

Yes but It's not Ubuntu they run.
    When I had the Atrix I was going to buy the dock's, but I just had thought and said do I really need them, as I have a laptop, Desktop and funds were low so in the end I didn't bother. So I never got to try out the dock's and see for myself if they were any good.
    As I said in my previous post they mention docking the phone. Hope the dock and software doesn't cost much. Or seeing as It's Linux will software be free and charge an awful lot for dock. But I can see developers by-passing dock when ever it is released.

what the deal on this for the mint guys or feroda or opensus
    can they change the ubuntu bit for mint or others ?

other thing , it features chromium web browser! , I thought Ubuntu was more of a Firefox sort of a guy.

In the case of Mint I'd assume they could just take on any upstream changes from Ubuntu. Whether they'd maintain an ARM port is another question.

Non Debian based would be interesting. Will their kernels support the hardware or will they need Ubuntu patches?
    I'd also like to know how they handle the connection between Ubuntu and Android. A daemon running in Ubuntu communicating with a service in Android is the first thing that came to mind. If it is something as simple as that I can see it working handily enough in other distros.

And the Chromium thing looks like a preference of the guys using it, it definitely doesn't look like a fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

cool washing machine
    but without the kernel neither would exist

p.s. your washing machine will live longer with calgon

Tell me more about this calgon distro... :D Does it come with FSlint pre-installed?

• Advertisement

I thought Ubuntu had ditched their ARM support? Led me to believe that it might have just been a fancy launcher in that vid that looks like / effectively is unity but just running on top of android?

edit: Ignore me, it's just ARMv6 support that they dropped.
    KAGY wrote: »
    Tell me more about this calgon distro... :D Does it come with FSlint pre-installed?

Haha. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Backtrack 5 gnome version (not the newer 5R1) is available as an arm image which I've had some success booting on android devices. It's a lot cleaner than the debian build I kinda had running on a HTC Desire back in the day :) As mentioned above, the display over VNC is versatile, but now that phones have HDMI outputs, everything changes.
    Now if you can run unity over the projector on the Beam when it comes out, that'll be perfect. Can't wait for a leak of the arm build to see how ubuntu is working now.

I had a laser projected keyboard a few years ago which was very usable, and if somebody produced a pocket device with that kind of keyboard projector on one end, and a display projector on the other with an MHL HDMI input on it you'd have the pocket fullsize computer just by adding your phone.

Advertisement