Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a Jeweller

Options
  • 21-02-2012 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

I have a watch and bracelet both with broken clasps
    I really miss the watch on my wrist :(
    Neither item was particularly expensive but both have sentimental value so I'd rather they get repaired than replaced but don't want to spend a fortune either

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Angelfire, I would highly recommend Tadhg Collins, Collins Jewellers, O'Connell Street, Ennis or Brian Gleeson in Ballycasey, Shannon. Both are excellent!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You could always go to Lolipop on Parnell St. across from the cinema (I think it's Gavin over the door), he'll fix it there and then and if he can't he'll tell you. I'd be a bit of a watch freak and brought 1 of my good watches there after the second hand got dislodged, did it in 2 minutes and didn't charge anything.

+1 for Lollipop, I completely forgot about him. There was thread about him on this forum a little while back. People were full of praise for him :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75163728

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Angelfire, I would highly recommend Tadhg Collins, Collins Jewellers, O'Connell Street, Ennis or Brian Gleeson in Ballycasey, Shannon. Both are excellent!
    I would advise against Brian Gleeson. I took my engagement ring in a few weeks ago, a stone had fallen out and I wanted to have it put back in. I had the stone thankfully but when I went to collect the ring they told me the work wasn't done yet and said it would cost 160 to put the stone back in.

I have to say in my experience Brian Gleeson is an excellent jeweller/designer but he is fairly pricey, I do agree with that element of the previous post.

I have an antique engagement ring and the setting is a little usual so it was impossible for me to buy a wedding ring that would sit along side it. I went to Brian and he designed a beautiful wedding band that could be worn with the engagement ring, while also looking good enough to wear on its own. I was extremely happy with it. My husband wanted a platinum wedding band and that was also made by Brian at the sametime.

A couple years ago, I took a different ring to him, the centre stone was very dull and lifeless looking so I asked if he could source a sapphire for me, he did and set it into the original ring, again I was delighted with his work.

However, last year, I contacted him for a valuation for insurance purposes, I felt at the time what he was charging was very high so I went elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I have to say in my experience Brian Gleeson is an excellent jeweller/designer but he is fairly pricey, I do agree with that element of the previous post.

I have an antique engagement ring and the setting is a little usual so it was impossible for me to buy a wedding ring that would sit along side it. I went to Brian and he designed a beautiful wedding band that could be worn with the engagement ring, while also looking good enough to wear on its own. I was extremely happy with it. My husband wanted a platinum wedding band and that was also made by Brian at the sametime.

A couple years ago, I took a different ring to him, the centre stone was very dull and lifeless looking so I asked if he could source a sapphire for me, he did and set it into the original ring, again I was delighted with his work.

However, last year, I contacted him for a valuation for insurance purposes, I felt at the time what he was charging was very high so I went elsewhere.
    I love his jewellery but I waited a week and a half for a simple repair that wasn't done on the day I was told to collect it. I thought it was very bad form to wait for me to call back to collect it rather than simply phoning me. I was told when I went to collect it that they thought they should check that the expense was ok. In fairness I should have asked how much it would cost when I brought the ring in. I never imagined it would be that expensive. I really can't see how putting the original stone back in its setting and tightening it can cost so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

got my e ring in nyc and the stone became loose - brought it to brian and he said he wouldnt touch it as it s from another jewellers and also it had a large crack in it so to send it back!! so i posted it to nyc and the shop rang to say there was not a crack in it (there are inclusions and any good jeweller would know this) so they posted it back to me and i got stung for duty and had to pay to get the ring relased to me.
    brought it to maurers in ennis and they said it didnt have a crack in it???? what a farce. so he cost me a lot of money just to get a stone tightened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Your mistake was buying the ring in NYC. The mark up on rings there (and in some shops in Ireland) is ridiculous for what can be essentially inferior goods. I have a feeling telling you that you had a crack was a polite way of saying you got stung. Why pay for a diamond with cracks or inclusions? Or again for one that had to be tightened? Afaik a goldsmith will source his own diamonds and check for clarity...etc himself. A jeweller will just stock and sell mass produced goods of which us ordinary folk would not know the difference.

I do feel for allbride, that was a big disappointment :(:(:( However, I think you need to be weary when you're making a big jewellery purchase abroad as sometimes you have very little comeback.

My husband bought me diamond cluster ring in Paris years ago, within three months one of the diamonds had fallen out of it and I couldn't get any local jeweller to repair it, they were afraid that the other diamonds would pop out when they were putting the other stone back in.

As for inclusions, you really shouldn't be able to see inclusions with the naked eye, if you can then you shouldn't be paying more than a couple of hundred euro for the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Thanks for all the recommendations guys
    I brought them to lollipop but he couldn't fix them so they have been dropped into collins' for collection Saturday
    I never realised how many times a day I look at my watch until now :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement