Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Materials & Architectural Technology with concurrent Teacher Education

Options
  • 21-02-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I'm new to Boards so please forgive me for mistakes I make! :) ehhh basically I'm seriously considering going to Limerick university next year for college and I'm really looking for a persons who's in or has knowledge of the teach. graphics & woodwork teaching course? (Materials & Architectural Technology with concurrent Teacher Education) like what's the course like and all that? Also what's Limerick like as a college and all that too? Cheers!

Any info at all! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Hello Tomás!

I am a First Year Materials & Arch. Tech student. We usually call it woodwork teaching for convenience :)

The course is broken up into 'streams', or basically main subject areas of woodwork, tech graph, education, and materials (metalwork and some science). You'll be doing a bit of both metalwork and woodwork in the first year then you begin to focus more on the woodwork, and you'll do the tech graph and education all the way through. I can't really say what the course is like as a whole, while it is never very difficult, it can be intense and time-consuming! For both semesters I had about 26 hours, it sounds like a lot but most of that time is down to practical labs that you carry out with the lectures.

I assume you have a background in woodwork or technical graphics. From what I've seen if you haven't done the woodwork, you can pick up the skills very fast, however you really need to put in the effort if you want to do well. I only did Construction Studies and not MTW so it was quite a jump for me and I did end up failing the woodwork, however I practiced over the Christmas and I'm much better now, so don't fret :D The metalwork side of it is not difficult, even if you have never done technology or engineering.

UL is great! I really enjoy it anyway. It took me a while to find my feet and find friends in the first semester but I've really gotten a lot out of it this semester. There is a lot to do both during the day and at nighttime, the bars are good off campus and there are plenty of great spots off campus. The clubs and societies are definitely worth looking into as well.

I feel like I could say a lot more, but it's probably better if you ask me anything you want to know in particular about the course so I can answer it. Best of luck with your decision and your exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tomas93

Cheers man that's pretty much all was looking for! I've done woodwork and got an A in the junior and I'm doing DCG and construction for the leaving so hopefully I'll be grand for the practical. Just wondering really would there be much english evolved in the course, I know it sounds stupid being a practical subject course and all! haha :D its just i'm dyslexic and find all that sh1t a bit hard haha :) Cheers again though its good to get a lads opinion that's actually on the course you know :) thanks again :D

PS. I'm from Louth so I'll be moving down to there any suggestions on student accommodation and all that? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The only subject which involves any real writing and reading as such is Education. There are prescribed texts (which nobody reads in real detail apart take the odd quote) and there are usually 3 essay style questions in the first semester exam. Of course, they will make provisions for you if there is anything stopping you from doing your best. The junior cert woodwork will stand to you, the standard is quite high!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

There are plenty of supports for people who are dyslexic so don't worry too much. As the years go by the need for english/academic writing/reading does steadily increase, but I've known people who are dyslexic and still done great so don't let it deter you from it.

(I did Materials and Engineering Technology - graduated last august).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tomas93

man the course sounds real nice now haha right down my root! :) cheers lads for the info really appreciate it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement