Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Development - Database

Options
  • 21-02-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I am helping a friend design a website used for usability testing. They are desiging the templates and it will be coded in HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc. I am trying to develop a database to be used. It is not going to have much traffic on it as its only a small business site. Its going to be hosted on a windows system as well. I have a small bit of knowledge of SQL but I've only learnt a few commands and created a few databases playing around with it before. The site is going to have a login area for customers and they will be able to upload the files they want to be tested using 5 second tests and card sorting tests.

I really don't know where to start with the database or how to use it to update the website and store users details.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I think you first need to understand your site's requirements and the business logic behind user management and the customer 'tests'. Then break down all this into what information you're going to need to store. Then design your database. Then develop, test and deploy.

If you've "only learnt a few commands and created a few databases playing around with it" to date, then I suspect that either you will have a very steep learning curve or are over your head on this one, TBH.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you are going to be doing a data driven site you will also need to consider a server side language/technology (ASP.Net, PHP, Java amongst others). Are you familiar with any of those already?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

HotP0pp3r wrote: »
    I am helping a friend design a website used for usability testing. They are desiging the templates and it will be coded in HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc. I am trying to develop a database to be used. It is not going to have much traffic on it as its only a small business site. Its going to be hosted on a windows system as well. I have a small bit of knowledge of SQL but I've only learnt a few commands and created a few databases playing around with it before. The site is going to have a login area for customers and they will be able to upload the files they want to be tested using 5 second tests and card sorting tests.

I really don't know where to start with the database or how to use it to update the website and store users details.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

What's your server side language and what Database system will you be using?

There are a few 'tricks' to make this whole process a little less painful. But they are platform dependent unfortunately.

PM me if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭HotP0pp3r

TonyStark wrote: »
    What's your server side language and what Database system will you be using?

There are a few 'tricks' to make this whole process a little less painful. But they are platform dependent unfortunately.

PM me if you need to.

I will be using php as the server side language and sql as the databse. This should not be a problem though as its just a working demo of the site that I need to present so it will be run simply on a windows pc. I just need to present the site and show that the information can be stored in the database, such as user login info, and the files the users will have uploaded for usability testing using the card sorting and 5 second test methods.

Is there anyway I can set up the database simply enough to do these tasks??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I will be using php as the server side language and sql as the databse. This should not be a problem though as its just a working demo of the site that I need to present so it will be run simply on a windows pc. I just need to present the site and show that the information can be stored in the database, such as user login info, and the files the users will have uploaded for usability testing using the card sorting and 5 second test methods.

Local server like Apache

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Download WAMP - windows, apache, mysql and php. You can get downloads to run off a USB stick and build the full site on it.

After you have that up and running search php tutorials for user management: http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/user-membership-with-php/

Then setup your CMS, again search php CMS tutorials - http://css-tricks.com/php-for-beginners-building-your-first-simple-cms/

A bit more complex than I would have thought for a beginners tutorial but hey - looks like you like diving into the deep end ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Local server like Apache

Apache doesn't include MySQl

As Art said - something like WAMP will provide both, plus phpMyAdmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

+2 for WAMP... fairly straight forward to create Databases in it.
    It'll even generate the php for mySQL queries.

Advertisement