Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do people think is the minimum annual mileage to justify a diesel?

Options
  • 21-02-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

To continue with all the latest diesel threads lately.......

I'm looking for people's opinions, as I drive a 150brake 320D since last summer, but I don't think I justify the mileage for one.

I'm probably doing around 8k miles a year approx.

Torque is great, and all the luxuries of the BMW are great, but wondering about whether I have it for the wrong reasons......

Or maybe I'm missing my days as a 200sx and an Accord Type R owner :(

So what kinda mileage should one be doing to justify owning a diesel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

16k miles and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

Col200sx wrote: »
    I'm looking for people's opinions, as I drive a 150brake 320D since last summer, but I don't think I justify the mileage for one.

Not sure I get the logic here. If you are buying new then it is a good question to ask, but you own this car so why the issue? You are enjoying better mpg and performance than you would from a similar petrol. Do you not like the car?
    Invariably it will cost you a lot more to change than to hold on to it.

Depends on how you look at it, my ZT averages 20mpg for me if I'm not doing a long run and 30mpg on a run, on the driving that it returns 20mpg I've gotten high 30s from a non intercooled Rover 400 diesel, I would be confident of a diesel ZT bettering the figures returned from the 400 diesel as it's a more efficient engine.

A diesel ZT would cost me €1700 less per annum to fuel doing 10,000 miles/year and cost about €400 less to tax.

A diesel ZT would have cost €2500 ish more to buy though.

If driving an efficient petrol that rarely returns less than 30mpg you'd need to be doing over the 15,000 miles before even considering it.

But when the likes of a 406HDi can be gotten for tiny money is does make it very hard to actually put a mileage figure on it as it depends on what you currently drive and what you want to spend etc etc etc.

As said though, in your case you already have the diesel, you don't need to actually justify buying it, to change to a petrol equivalent would probably cost you in cost to change and in subsequent running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Not sure I get the logic here. If you are buying new then it is a good question to ask, but you own this car so why the issue? You are enjoying better mpg and performance than you would from a similar petrol. Do you not like the car?
    Invariably it will cost you a lot more to change than to hold on to it.

I get ya.

Having read recently about diesels running better on long runs, whereas a lot of mine seem to be short runs, where the engine may not be up to optimum temperature for half of the journey.

I do like the car, I suppose just missing bhp a bit.

With my 200sx and ATR, I was only sometimes getting not even 20mpg, which I could live with (but was a pain in the arse once you had to do a long journey fuelwise). So to go to 30-55mpg is such a big difference.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    As said though, in your case you already have the diesel, you don't need to actually justify buying it, to change to a petrol equivalent would probably cost you in cost to change and in subsequent running costs.

If I was to change car again, I'd be going for something with a bit more under the bonnet. I know I'd be probably halving my mpg.

Something like a Legacy B4 or similar.

Pricewise, there wouldn't be much in the difference between what I'd buy, and what I'd sell the BMW for, so there wouldn't be much cash spent.

Advertisement