Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed NCT for handbrake

Options
  • 21-02-2012 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

I just failed the NCT for my handbrake lever excessively traveling. I asked the guy there and he said it was comming up too much.

I checked it when I got home and it goes up 7 clicks normally, but with a bit of force you can get it to 8.

What is normal?

Its a 98 Toyota Corolla Saloon. Haynes says between 4 and 7 click is normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

kiddums wrote: »
    I just failed the NCT for my handbrake lever excessively traveling. I asked the guy there and he said it was comming up too much.

I checked it when I got home and it goes up 7 clicks normally, but with a bit of force you can get it to 8.

What is normal?

Its a 98 Toyota Corolla Saloon. Haynes says between 4 and 7 click is normal.

i normally set mine at 3 clicks and it always passed the test so i think you should set it at 3 or maybe 4 at a push

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

smokin ace wrote: »
    i normally set mine at 3 clicks and it always passed the test so i think you should set it at 3 or maybe 4 at a push
    My last car (opel agila) was 10 clicks.

I thought 3 would have been too tight?
    I'll see how easily I can tighten it I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The correct setting for a 98 corolla is 4-7 clicks so it was a pointless fail IMO.

Would I be right in guessing that the car passed on everything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sounds like Applus just creaming another 28 euro for themselves and their shareholders...
    Bástards!
    They really have you over a barrel with the test.

The correct setting for a 98 corolla is 4-7 clicks so it was a pointless fail IMO.

Would I be right in guessing that the car passed on everything else?
    Failed on that and a broken/missing battery bracket. I'd forgotten about that one.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sounds like Applus just creaming another 28 euro for themselves and their shareholders...
    Bástards!
    They really have you over a barrel with the test.
    I thought that till I looked and its a visual retest so no charge.
    Seems a waste of time to me.

• Advertisement

Failed on that and a broken/missing battery bracket. I'd forgotten about that one.

I thought that till I looked and its a visual retest so no charge.
    Seems a waste of time to me.

Only consolation is that both are very quick and cheap repairs.

In fact, if you have a socket set with a deep 10mm socket then you'd sort the handbrake yourself in about 20 seconds.

Only consolation is that both are very quick and cheap repairs.

In fact, if you have a socket set with a deep 10mm socket then you'd sort the handbrake yourself in about 20 seconds.
    Yea, I'm looking into tightening the handbrake myself.
    I'm trying to learn as much as I can about doing my own car maintence as I need to.
    I'm trying to source a suitable bar for the battery bracket. The replacement battery is taller than the original so I can't use another corolla one.

I'm just baffled that its a fail. I thought mabye I'd read it wrong or it had been changed since haynes made their book.

Yea, I'm looking into tightening the handbrake myself.
    I'm trying to learn as much as I can about doing my own car maintence as I need to.
    I'm trying to source a suitable bar for the battery bracket. The replacement battery is taller than the original so I can't use another corolla one.

I'm just baffled that its a fail. I thought mabye I'd read it wrong or it had been changed since haynes made their book.

Well I agree that the handbrake travel failing is pointless, especially as its within spec(just) for the car type and that the handbrake operation itself obviously passed.

The battery not being tied down is different though...a loose battery can move and contact the bonnet in an accident...leading to a fire.:eek:

Well I agree that the handbrake travel failing is pointless, especially as its within spec(just) for the car type and that the handbrake operation itself obviously passed.

The battery not being tied down is different though...a loose battery can move and contact the bonnet in an accident...leading to a fire.:eek:
    The battery is secure, just not properly. Its got the bracket across the top of it, and one of the bars is attached. On the other side there are some of those extra strenght cable tie things in place of the bar. The battery doesn't move when you try to move it. It was only a temp fix tho, I just forgot about it. Its only been there 3 weeks.

Advertisement