Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Foxes in Dublin 8/ The Liberties

Options
  • 21-02-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I am doing a news story for a student newspaper on urban foxes.
    If you or somebody you know have seen an urban fox in the Dublin 8/ The Liberties please share your experience and views on them.

Thank you very much for your help,

Jonathan Crean

Email me at: <mod snip>
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I saw one a few weeks ago behind Arthurs pub along Thomas Court. It disappeared into the wasteland behind the pub. Was about 10pm at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pimlico

There seems to be quite a lot around the area. I see them at least 2/3 times a week whilst walking my dog on her late night walk.

I see them regularly in the gardens of Braithwaite St/Pimlico flats, also seen one running into the allotments on Braithwaite Street the other night. Always see them in the Tenters around Oscar Sq/St Thomas Rd/Clarence Mangan Rd. There are two bins located on Clarence Mangan Road at the back gates of Warrenmount School and they're always near the bins, although I have never seen them actually scavenge from the bins. I've also seen them around Donore Avenue and seen quite a few run down St Catherines Avenue (off Donore Avenue).

I have heard that there was a large family of foxes taking refuge in the old Player Wills Building on S.C.R but I don't know how true that is.

One experience that I did have of foxes, a couple of weeks ago, I was out walking the dog it was late about 1am. and I'm walking up O'Curry Road, I heard what genuinely sounded like a child screaming/crying in pain, I'm used to hearing the cats whinging and it was on a completely different level to that. Anyway, as I continue walking, I see a woman looking out of her window in the direction of where the noise was coming from, she shoots me a funny look and I keep walking on, anyway the more I thought of it, I had visions of some poor baby getting bashed around, all the while this gut wrenching screeching/screaming is still going on.

SO, I walk around the block back towards the source of the noise, with my phone in my hand ready to dial 999 to report what sounded like some poor baby screeching out in pain. and right on the corner of St Thomas's Rd (in front of the cottage in the middle of the path, locals will know what one I mean, think there was a thread here not so long ago about said cottage) there were 3 foxes, two of them just standing there side by side while the third one ran around them in a frenzy screeching, yes that horrible terrifying noise was coming from one fox! I was on the opposite side of the road with the dog, they noticed me but didn't seem to be bothered by my presence. I stood there for a couple of minutes looking at this fox screeching out, It didn't appear to be injured or anything.

Apparently the fox was screeching was a female fox and it was some kind of mating ritual or something.

Sorry for such a long winded reply but honest to God will never forget that noise, blood curdling screeches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Different location but I've seen foxes down by the Dodder in Ringsend\Sandymount. They were prowling along the river bank going after sleeping ducks(literally hundreds). Lots of quacks in the air from the ducks warning each other of their presence. I watched from a bridge to scare them off and the pair of foxes noted my presence and just started wandering off.

Another time I saw a fox walking down the street opposite me on the footpath not far from Lansdowne Rd stadium, the fella was brazen as hell. Not a bother on him that he was about to approach me, he quickly turned into a garden of a house and disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Always around, often see them around the garden at the back of Scoil Treasa Naofa, you see them along Donore Ave too and they'd usually run into the back of St.Teresas Chruch when they see you. As Pimlico said aswell, I seen one the other night running down St.Catherines Ave, possibly into John Players or possibly down the back of the lane just off St.Catherines Ave.

My dad does head to work around 6am, and often see's them on his route, Donore Ave towards Heuston Station.

They'd always be out on bin night aswell.

Just outside of Dublin 8, driving home from work the other day and see one on Clogher Rd at 10pm, was surprised as there's still a decent bit of traffic at that time around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I have seen a few around the Francis st area, sun bathing in waste ground and running around new row at night.
    And late one night saw one running across from John st into Chadwicks builders providers with a big pigeon is his gob. Got a big cheer from the smokers outside the Thomas House and Kennedys :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Saw one running across Cork St. going into the grounds of Bru Chaoimhin just after Christmas. It would have been about 10 PM. Bought a smile to my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

gurramok wrote: »
    Lots of quacks in the air from the ducks warning each other of their presence. I watched from a bridge to scare them off and the pair of foxes noted my presence and just started wandering off.

So you interfered with the process of natural selection... Shocking! :p

I used to see them all the time when I was living in Marrowbone Lane area. They get a bad rep but personally find them beautiful creatures!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

They have a den in the grounds of the coombe hospital they are always running out on cork st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they are all over terenure at nighttime, not dublin 8 but very close.

i always see them around whitton road

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Seems to be a den just at the side of land at Sallys Bridge, usually see one a week going in there when I'm out jogging.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

I live out in Rathfarnham and one of these ****ers was in my garden late one night, shrieking it's ****ing head off, freakiest thing ever:eek:I've got a pellet gun handy if it ever comes back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Often see one walking through the Tenters if it's late enough. I've seen one hanging around that weird lane off Mill Street, too. There's apparently one (and possibly a small family now) living in the apartments that are on the junction of Mill Street and Wards Hill. I've also seen a couple on New Row South (a good few months back) and last year, crossing from Christchurch Cathedral to Jury's Inn.

A couple of weeks back, I was woken by a weird wail, sounded like someone with severe breathing difficulties. I looked out my window, and there was a fox STARING at me from the roof of the small shed of my neighbour's house. Seriously freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary1978

seen one by the bike shed in james's a few times late at night

Advertisement