Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra cusps on wisdom tooth?

Options
  • 21-02-2012 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Stupid wisdom tooth, just when I think it's all over it starts again.
    I began getting my wisdom teeth at 18. The first one had me in agony for a couple of days but once it cut through it was fine. I got the other 3 with no issues.
    They made the gum tender on and off over the years as they pushed through a bit more but nothing major.
    However last week the gum around my LR8 became very tender. I had thought the tooth was entirely through at this stage as it was all there, 4 cusps etc, looking like a normal tooth. And I'm 29. This tooth has been growing for 11 years now!
    But no, I had a look and I seem to have gained a 5th cusp. And the part of the gum that is tender has no tooth so I'm wondering if it's possible that another cusp is cutting through. This tooth looks to me 1.5 times the size of my other molars now :eek: It's definitely all the same tooth.
    But I've been to the dentist before and had bitewings and he's never mentioned this very big tooth. In fact he notes it in the exam as erupted as opposed to partially erupted which I heard when I was younger.
    Am worried now that this is going to also happen the other 3 wisdom teeth and I'm going to have more pain.
    I'm not keen on getting them pulled but surely after 11 years they should be done!
    Is it possible for a tooth to even have 6 cusps?
    The 5th cusp is on the lingual side and the tender gum is the buccal side.

Advertisement