Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance covering locks

Options
  • 21-02-2012 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

My insurance covers replacement locks if your keys are lost or stolen. One or two question. and yes I will ring them, would just like thoughts or other experiences. I'm with Aviva

1. new locks and ignition barrel are covered. Are new keys? it doesn't mention anything...
    2. it says I have to prove that any person who may have the keys must know where i keep my car. How on earth do I do this without it being my word against theirs?
    3. how long does it take for a procedure like that to replace all locks etc?

with my line of work I have lost keys in the past (without car keys but now they have to be with me) and just want a heads up on this sort of stuff from the real world as well as their view.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Re your first question, the new locks will come with keys. I don't know anything about the second question, and it shouldn't take more than a day to replace the locks. You'd have a replacement car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If you barrel locks are damaged in attempted theft, garda report needed, then you get locks as the keys in your pockets will fit perfectly

if keys are stolen , Garda report also, but not car, then newk eys are supplied as cut to match the locks already on car

only keys and locks would be both replaced if car weas stolen but recovered and you wanted to keep car and reinsure for your use (unfortunitely rearly happens that car isn't wrecked )

Check the limits to cost of replacing as per policy booklet....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Thanks folks. The policy booklet says that new locks are covere if keys are lost or stolen but must prove a person who has the keys will know where car is kept. I assume that locks would be changed and not just given new keys if they had my keys and new where the car was? Otherwise car could still be stolen at a greater loss to insurers.

Would still love to know how I can prove it as cover is useless if I need some sort of permenant record of what i carry etc to prove that on this day when they were stolen there was something with my address on it as well! There is generally something with address in vicinity of keys but may not be something that can be registered as lost like a driving license.

Advertisement