Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHB Road Shoes - Great reviews but freezing feet

Options
  • 20-02-2012 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

I have a pair of these the carbon ones got them based on reviews on wiggle and mainly bikeradar.

However even wearing 2 pairs of wool socks and Pro overshoes my feet are always freezing. find it strange that no reviews mention cold feet.

I think its is mainly because there is a vent and part of the shoe is mesh material.

Any reccomendations for a proper warm pair of shoes? budget EUR100 - EUR150 max

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi
    Before U go and invest in another pair of shoes, I'd suggest getting yourself a good pair of Merino socks. You'll probably pay around 13 - 20 for a decent pair of winter socks but they really are worth every cent.
    I've 2 pairs that I rotate and me feet are toasty warm all this winter in rain or dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I have a pair of the dhb road shoes and when worn with "normal" cycling socks and overshoes I've never one had a problem with cold feet! I have two pairs of altura neoprene overshoes, Relflex and Night Vision and never had a prob with either. Maybe you got a circulation problem on the bike???

Edit: I have the cheapy dhb ones not the carbon ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

+1 one for the overshoes. I also have cheapo DHB shoes, which are cold in this weather but grand later on. Can't see any shoes being significantly warmer or colder but overshoes make a huge difference. Also loosening the straps very slightly can help if circulation is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Gasco

I tend to feel the cold when out on the bike, particularly the hands and feet. Sealskinz, merino sock liners, neoprene overshoes, all to no avail. So I looked at my shoes, they are Mavic Avenir and are, like yours designed to keep your feet cool with vents on the soles and mesh uppers. The mesh uppers are at least covered by the overshoes so I reasoned that the sole vents were the issue.
    So I purchased fleece lined insoles to replace the exisiting ones and went about the vents with duct tape. I can report that this has improved matters greatly.

Duct tape truly is great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

I have crap circulation in my feet. Duct taping the vents on my Shimano shoes greatly improved things. Couple of thick pairs of socks (with merino next to the feet) and overshoes really helped as well. The problem hasn't totally gone away but it's way better than it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My Shimano road shoes inexplicably have a big vent at the toes. That's probably an indication that they're not supposed to be ridden in temps under 10 degrees. However, some duct tape & overshoes == problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

With the exception of one jersey, every bit of dhb gear I ever got turned out to be gank so I've tended to avoid it and not believe the reviews.

Last year (about this time of the year) I got a pair of Shimano RW80 Winter Road Boots and I've found them to be both toasty and dry, especially with a pair of water resistant tights extending down over the ankle cuff.

If you keep an eye out some of the sites will be marking down their winter stock - that's how I managed to pick these up for about €90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

cheers lads will try the duct tape and not have shoes too tight and see if it improves things. failing that will need a new pair without the vents and mesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

As mentioned above, it's well worth getting a pair of overshoes before splashing out on a new pair of shoes. They really do work and they are reasonably priced. I use these BBB waterproof ones:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45051

The waterproofing also acts as an effective wind blocker, so they are nice and toasty. Another advantage of overshoes is that they keep your shoes clean, no matter how manky the roads get. Your shoes will last longer as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

I am using overshoes in addition to 2 pairs of socks but still have freezing feet!

have a pair of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-tarmac-h20-road-overshoes/

As mentioned above, it's well worth getting a pair of overshoes before splashing out on a new pair of shoes. They really do work and they are reasonably priced. I use these BBB waterproof ones:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45051

The waterproofing also acts as an effective wind blocker, so they are nice and toasty. Another advantage of overshoes is that they keep your shoes clean, no matter how manky the roads get. Your shoes will last longer as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

seanie500 wrote: »
    I am using overshoes in addition to 2 pairs of socks but still have freezing feet!

have a pair of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-tarmac-h20-road-overshoes/

Two pairs of socks??...would one pair of thick ski-type socks not be better? I suspect two pairs of socks would result in your shoes being too tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

seanie500 wrote: »
    My apologies. I somehow mangaed to miss that point in your OP. Hope you manage to find a satisfactory solution. Meanwhile, enjoy the warm days we're having!

Advertisement