Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2010 ford fiesta carvan

Options
  • 20-02-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all Using woman's account.
    I just bought a 2010 ford fiesta carvan 1.6 diesel privately last week. car was registered in sept 2010 and has one owner on English log book with 27000 miles on clock. I bought it from someone in tullamore who bought it in England before Christmas.
    So I contacted original/ 1st and only owner on log to see if I could get a service history. They told me they traded car in to vw dealer in oct 2011 and all service books were with car. I then contacted the garage where they traded car in who told me they traded it to another dealer who I then contacted and they told me they had sold the car to an auction. I asked him for the auctions name but he couldn't tell me due to data protection. So I asked him if he had any history on car and he told me it was sold to auction with 70000 miles on clock and had 4 service stamps in book which is now missing. The car now has 27000 miles on it when it was bought at the auction. I'm due to Vrt carvan tomorrow and dont know whether to sell now or take that I have a 18month old car with 70000 miles, register it and keep going. Dunno what my options are. Would love to get on touch with auction where it was sold to and see what they say. Tottaly sick I am. I prob don't have a foot to stand on if I was to follow this up. The guy that brought car into the country was sound and told me how much he paid for van and what Milege was on it when he bought it and he is getting me the name of the auction too. Any suggestions where to go next.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1%5B%5D02092011fuhgeddaboudit.jpg

Always check out a car fully before buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Small cars like fiesta don't hide miles as well as larger cars in my experience. It would take a lot of driving to do that in just over a year, although not impossible. If you have a uk reg try running a history check.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wow, you'd normally trust people who bring in cars from the uk and have no premises and dodge the vrt laws by not registering the car on import.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hair's Pam

1%5B%5D02092011fuhgeddaboudit.jpg

Always check out a car fully before buying it.

I done a full car check on this car. I used to work in a dealership and this fiesta is spotless. Not one mark or scratch never repainted no wear on steering wheel hand brake gear stick or doors. It's not till the originally owner contacted me that I found
    Out it's
    History. Everyone
    Buys cars in the north,uk, from strangers and yes a lot of people do drive them on uk plates for as long as possible.

I wanted to clear it
    N it's booked in tomorrow for Vrt. But I'm considering selling it
    Now on uk plates n keepin me vrt money. Why should I pay Vrt that is Milege linked when in fact Milege is 45000 lower than it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyone who goes all the way to the uk to buy something like that and sits on it with no intention of vrting it is usually trying to make a fast buck.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wow, you'd normally trust people who bring in cars from the uk and have no premises and dodge the vrt laws by not registering the car on import.

I done a full uk car search on car and no issues were found Milege check showed up nothing. No finance was owed. And it showed 1 English owner when in fact there were more than 4. My uncle know guy I bought it from so it wasn't a stranger. He travels to uk a lot to buy machines ect and bought this car while he was there before Christmas. I'm gettin auction details tomorrow from him but Vrt is at 2.45 and I don't know whether to register or let someone else worry about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hair's Pam wrote: »
    I done a full uk car search on car and no issues were found Milege check showed up nothing. No finance was owed. And it showed 1 English owner when in fact there were more than 4. My uncle know guy I bought it from so it wasn't a stranger. He travels to uk a lot to buy machines ect and bought this car while he was there before Christmas. I'm gettin auction details tomorrow from him but Vrt is at 2.45 and I don't know whether to register or let someone else worry about it.

A proper UK search would have revealed the mileage and number of owners. Some even offer a guarantee against incorrect reports.

I done a proper uk search and it showed one owner from first registration. If
    You buy a new car here and trade it in to a garage here who in turn trades it to another n so on through 5 different dealers. They fill out a form called rf 105 which places the car in their name
    But
    Will not
    Show
    Up on log book or proper car history search So I presume it's
    The same in the uk as it was all dealers that had the car u til it finally sold at an auction where it was clocked. Anyway getting back on topic any suggestions who to contact in uk to report this auction (when I find out in the morning who the are)

A HPI check on the UK reg would have revealed all.

I think you are wasting your time on this. You failed to ascertain the cars history, and bought privately.

No comeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Why would an auction company clock a car? It doesn't make sense.

It is much more likely that the fella you bought it off clocked it after bringing it in to the country where it then reappeared as the typical Donedeal "bargain". There are plenty more lads like him and plenty more similar cars out there as well.

Advertisement