Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The recent exhibition on the Gauls at the Science City in Paris

Options
  • 20-02-2012 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

I hope you will find this interesting as much as I hope you will be willing to count the Gauls (les Gaulois) as cousins of the Irish.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPX3sisyruY
    You can see the magnificent finds that were found at Tintignac such as the ceremonial swan neck helmet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Nice, well the most obvious connections to the Gauls of course are linguistic and religous connections. For example the closest language to "Archaic Irish" (what's written on Ogham stones) is Gaulish. Compare Gaulish Mapos to Archaic Irish Maqqos (Old/Modern Irish: Mac)

Or the Irish god Lú (Lugh) to Gaulish Lugus.

Lyon = Lugodunon (Hillfort of Lugus)

Dunon has cognate in modern Irish in word Dún (stone fort, think Dún Laoghaire)

I recall reading a report where some computer analysis was done comparing old Irish and the surviving Gaulish corpus they put the spilt date between the two languages at about 1,000BC

Advertisement