Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who has the right of way?? Phoenix park gates near halfway house

Options
  • 20-02-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

This has been bugging me for ages and everyone I ask has a different opinion.
    If I was to come from Stoneybatter and come to the junction that leads to Phoenix park.
    Phoenix park gate is to my left, straight on is the Phoenix Park apartments and to my right is the roundabout at the Half Way House.

If I want to turn right for the Halfway House but there are cars coming from the Phoenix park gates and also the apartments , who has right of way???

Also if there is a car coming out of the gates, who has right of way- me or them as summing it is just both us there.

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Am I correct in presuming you are driving up Blackhorse Avenue?

If so, it is my understanding that the right of way is with those on the road from the halfway house veering right at the gates. Following on from this, cars entering the park have right of way over those exiting it, however they must still yield to cars on the halfway house road.

When you are driving from Blackhorse avenue and turning right to go to the halfway house, you must give way to both roads. It's a bit of a pain in the ass but sometimes you need to grow a set of liathroidi and edge out slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Well technically if you look at the junction, the exit of the Phoenix Park has a stop sign/marking as well at the Junction off Blackhorse avenue. As such, excluding those come-up from the Halfway house or down from Castleknock (who will have right of way over the two junctions) cars on Blackhorse Ave could actually have the right of way.

Why? Well you've two junctions of equal importance, as such you must yield to the right. If this is the case, cars existing Phoenix Park must yield to the right handside. However, the junction is a bit of a mis-mash and the only way someone exiting the Park could see the other junction is to actually leave the park. At this point though they've entered the junction and those on Blackhorse Ave must wait for the Junction to be free.

So, theoretically, it's Blackhorse Ave with have the right of way, but in pratice you'll find those exiting the Park will get the right of way.

If this stresses you, try driving in Rome. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

jayok wrote: »
    Well technically if you look at the junction, the exit of the Phoenix Park has a stop sign/marking as well at the Junction off Blackhorse avenue. As such, excluding those come-up from the Halfway house or down from Castleknock (who will have right of way over the two junctions) cars on Blackhorse Ave could actually have the right of way.

Why? Well you've two junctions of equal importance, as such you must yield to the right. If this is the case, cars existing Phoenix Park must yield to the right handside. However, the junction is a bit of a mis-mash and the only way someone exiting the Park could see the other junction is to actually leave the park. At this point though they've entered the junction and those on Blackhorse Ave must wait for the Junction to be free.

So, theoretically, it's Blackhorse Ave with have the right of way, but in pratice you'll find those exiting the Park will get the right of way.

If this stresses you, try driving in Rome. :cool:

I was thinking along those lines, in saying that it's pretty much a go go go n hope for the best situation at times. Have started to turn right after the cumiskeys pub instead, not worth the headache of watching every which way to get across a road.

Advertisement