Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contractor Sick Pay

Options
  • 20-02-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,
    As the title suggests I am working as a contractor and am just returning to work after illness.
    I have doctors letter and can get official welfare form if needed.
    I know the company has no responsibility . I just would like to know my options , if any.
    Would the employment agency or the accounting company cover anything or do I just need to approach the Department of Social Protection / Welfare for Illness Benefit ?
    I am confident I have built up enough credits over the years to cover this.
    Any ideas on the amount I would get or is it based on normal earnings ?
    Thanks in advance
    Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Are you a proper contractor (ie self employed), or are you an employee of an agency? If the latter then they are responsible for your sick pay (the govt pays through them). Who actually pays your PRSI to the govt?
    edit: It's more complicated actually... Ask your employer first. You can either a) get illness benefit from govt, or b) get sickpay from employer. But not both, and it depends on employer.

Full info -> http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AL_otto_pain

Thanks,
    I am a contractor via an anegcy.
    My employer will not cover sick pay.
    I will contact the agency and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks,
    I am a contractor via an anegcy.
    My employer will not cover sick pay.
    I will contact the agency and see what they say.

Do the agency give you a payslip? Do they deduct your tax? (in which case you're not a contractor, you're a temporary employee, and your employer is the agency)

Or do you give the agency an invoice each month, and they give you a payment advice, and pay you without taking any tax out?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AL_otto_pain

I am a contractor with the agency.
    They send an invoice to an umbrella accounting company.
    The accounting company calculate and deduct tax on my behalf and issue my payslip.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I am a contractor with the agency.
    They send an invoice to an umbrella accounting company.
    The accounting company calculate and deduct tax on my behalf and issue my payslip.

Then you just need to apply to the department of social protection for illness benefit

• Advertisement
Advertisement