Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starting to Drive.. Help ?

Options
  • 20-02-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey everyone.. I hope this post is in the right place as it's my first one.:D

I just turned 16 at the start of last month but I found out about the theory test changing on Oct 25 '11 so I had mine done a week before it changed while I was still 15. What I'm wondering is now what do i have to do to get my tractor licence this summer and the my car one when i turn 17 next jan? Like the time I have to wait to send away for the test and what I need?

Thanks and be kind :o :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Travel!

Best of luck on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Once your theory test is valid for within two years you can apply for your 1st learners permit for the car once you turn 17 or when approaching your 17th birthday. If you've done the theory test your cert is valid for 2 years if its 2 years when it expires or 2 years or more you will have to sit the theory test again.

You are 16 now, 15 the end of January of last year. So you did your test last October when you were 15, so from October of last year to October of next year your theory test cert will be valid fort two years exactly. You still be 16 next October, you will already have turned 17 (next January) by the following October you still be 17 though before your theory test cert is out of date. So once you turn 17 next year you be able to apply for your 1s provisional ten months before your theory test cert be out of date. A bit mind boggling.

Yes that be about right you can apply for your 1st learners permit next January when you turn 17!

Same procedure with the tractor licence, I think you can apply once you turn 16. Its all in the rules of the road book (make sure you read that before going on the road!)

Regarding the car, 1st learners permit you must have that valid for six months or more and have your 1st learners permit for at least 6 months before you can apply for the test at all!

You be affected by the 12 EDI Compulsory driving lessons so you must do them before applying for your test as well. You cannot apply for your test without having done the EDI lessons, its a major requirement at the moment after the 6 month limit of holding a 1st learners permit elapses.

Best of luck with the driving.

To apply for your 1st learners permit generally, two passport sized photos of a certain measurement, eye sight test report you must have an eye test done a month before you show the report I think might be three or two but think its a month, if you have a medical issue you might have state it in your application and to get it in writing from your doctor stating you are fit to drive. Think it still costs €15 for apply for it. You need your theory test cert as well to hand in to the Motor Tax Office. You can get it done there and then in the MOT or apply and get it in the post, takes aprox 10 days or more.

There are a couple of threads on this already.

Link to the RSA Website detailing information on applying for the learners permit.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Your-learner-permit/How-to-apply/

Safe and happy motoring and Best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CianB123

doovdela - Thanks for you long comment. Explained a LOT to me. :D

It is a bit mind boggling indeed but I'm pretty sure what i have to do.

After the big J.C in June i'll apply for my tractor licence by going into the Motor Tax Office with my DTT cert, eyesight report, 2 passport photos, and of course the appropriate form that i'll get in there. they'll post out my provisional tractor licence. Then next jan i'll go in with my provisional and get it exchanged for my provisional car (How to do this would help too). All that is left then is to get 12 lessons with an approved instructor fella and once the 6 months expire, i get my official licence? + two years with qualified driver of course

I hope that makes sense and is all correct and don't hesitate to correct me if wrong!
    thanks for your quick response ;):D

No problem. Sounds about right. Ya once you have had your 1st licence for 6 months, you can apply for your test, pass it and get your full licence then.
    Well you need to get your 12 EDI lessons for the duration of the 6 months and so on. You need to have completed at least 12 EDI lessons before applying for test and before doing the test.

So basically you need to be driving for at least 6 months, completing 12 EDI lessons while learning with an ADI instructor while holding your 1st provisional/learners permit. You cannot complete professional lessons with an ADI instructor without having your learner permit. They'll check that its valid and that you have a learners permit.

Ya a qualified driver both your accompany driver and ADI instructor must be over 21 and have had a full licence more than 2 years old think its increased to 3 years now not sure. It be in the rules of the road book which you can view as a PDF file on the RSA website.

http://www.rotr.ie/

Good luck in your JC and all the best with the driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 CianB123

Really appreciate it doovdela.

It helped me out a lot. now, if only the JC was as easy as writing on boards.ie :D:(

Advertisement