Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mechanic wont take my money

Options
  • 20-02-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

ok so here's my problem

Clutch on my 05 1.9D normally aspirated van ate itself today and a very good friend of mine is doing the job for me tonight

My problem is he refuses to charge me properly for the work, i get around this for normal work because i know roughly what it costs and give him that but i do not know how much work is in this so need your help to properly pay the man for his labour and parts

So how much do ye reckon?

thanks in advance folks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Is he not charging for parts? If not ring your local motorfactor and get them to price up a clutch kit for your van then knock off 20% for trade. As for labour just see how long it takes him and work something out from that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I can safely say this is the first time that this thread title has ever been seen anywhere on the internet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I can safely say this is the first time that this thread title has ever been seen anywhere on the internet. :)

You're wrong, I had a thread just like this many many years ago in this very forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Any chance of your mechanics contact details?

I could think of a few things I need doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Get him a voucher for somewhere, or a slab of cider or whatever he drinks or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Maybe he expecting way more than you offer .... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Clutch vs Tray of Bulmers...... Slightly uneven....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Eire sun

If he is doing it as a friend, then will he be offended if you insist he take money? :rolleyes: I had a mate like that and it nearly ended it rows over it :D Mind you i have other friends that would put their hand in your pocket and help themselves :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i see where you are going with that mar4ix.....:eek:

feck it anyway, gearbox out pressureplate well broken up, bearing in bits as is sleeve and fork needs changing aswell

Oh and gearbox mount rubber fuct as is selector arm bushing:(

Ah well it was all original and there is 185000K on her i suppose.

I think it will end up as a genuine three hours labour, parts i am obviously paying for so that aside what i was asking is what would you mechanics be charging a customer for the job, as i want to pay him properly for the job

in all fairness he is owed it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Eire sun wrote: »
    If he is doing it as a friend, then will he be offended if you insist he take money? :rolleyes: I had a mate like that and it nearly ended it rows over it :D Mind you i have other friends that would put their hand in your pocket and help themselves :eek:

Ah we won't fall out over it at all, just seems like he helps me more than i do him and it makes me feel better asking for work done in the future.

Truth is next time in the pub he'll probably try to pay for the drink all night...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

Roughly around 200 for labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

ft9 wrote: »
    Any chance of your mechanics contact details?

I could think of a few things I need doing.

Join the Q :D
    Mar4ix wrote: »
    Maybe he expecting way more than you offer .... :pac:

The awkward moment when that happens :eek::p

Advertisement