Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Driving Licence lost in London

• 20-02-2012 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi Everyone!

I recently moved to London from Dublin and lost my full Irish licence - I know that you can get it replaced in Ireland (I have no problem travelling to Ireland for that replacement) but there are some issues. If you can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. I am not good at explaining complicated things simply so I will just list up what seem to be relevant here:

1. I had a full Japanese Driving Licence and I exchanged it in Dublin in 2008 to full Irish driving Licence which is valid for 10 years since then

2. I lost it in London some time back (I am not sure of the date or place but few months ago when I was on holiday in London from Ireland) but I did not notice that until now so nothing has been reported to either to Gardai in Ireland or police in England.

3. Now I have permanently moved to London and I want(ed) to exchange it to English one.

Q1. When I looked at the RSA website, it says that if I want to replace it I have to fill in D8a form. But the form says that I have to report it to a garda station:
    (in the form it says)..."reported at the below station the loss/destruction/theft of his/her driving/provisional licence"

Would I report it to the Irish garda station though it has been lost abroad?

Q2. Also the website says that if the licence is current but lost, I can fill in D800 to get the duplicate. I haven't looked at the form but the fee is cheaper than for the D8a form.

But I wonder if duplicate is good enough for the application to get it exchanged in England. And what is the difference anyways? (if the duplicate is perfectly eligible for anything then why would people bother paying more for the replacement?)

Q3. Or is there any other much easier ways than this (replacement in Ireland-exchange it in England) or completely different ways to go abut this?

Has anyone experienced similar situation or have knowledge about this? Any tip will be appreciated. Thank you for your help!

xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

41561246 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

I recently moved to London from Dublin and lost my full Irish licence - I know that you can get it replaced in Ireland (I have no problem travelling to Ireland for that replacement) but there are some issues. If you can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. I am not good at explaining complicated things simply so I will just list up what seem to be relevant here:

1. I had a full Japanese Driving Licence and I exchanged it in Dublin in 2008 to full Irish driving Licence which is valid for 10 years since then

2. I lost it in London some time back (I am not sure of the date or place but few months ago when I was on holiday in London from Ireland) but I did not notice that until now so nothing has been reported to either to Gardai in Ireland or police in England.

3. Now I have permanently moved to London and I want(ed) to exchange it to English one.

Q1. When I looked at the RSA website, it says that if I want to replace it I have to fill in D8a form. But the form says that I have to report it to a garda station:
    (in the form it says)..."reported at the below station the loss/destruction/theft of his/her driving/provisional licence"

Would I report it to the Irish garda station though it has been lost abroad?

Q2. Also the website says that if the licence is current but lost, I can fill in D800 to get the duplicate. I haven't looked at the form but the fee is cheaper than for the D8a form.

But I wonder if duplicate is good enough for the application to get it exchanged in England. And what is the difference anyways? (if the duplicate is perfectly eligible for anything then why would people bother paying more for the replacement?)

Q3. Or is there any other much easier ways than this (replacement in Ireland-exchange it in England) or completely different ways to go abut this?

Has anyone experienced similar situation or have knowledge about this? Any tip will be appreciated. Thank you for your help!

xxx

THey probably don't have a specific rule but I would expect that they would want you to report it to the police station in the jurisdiction in which you lost it; this is what I was required to do when I lost my Irish passport in New York. I'm not sure whether it's your phrasing but if you lost it a few months ago but only realised now, how can you be sure you lost it on a vacation trip to London some months ago?

The Japanee licence would be eligible for exchange in the UK; I suspect that you handed that in when you got the Irish one.

Advertisement