Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows nesting in a very low shed...

Options
  • 20-02-2012 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I have two nests in my shed out the back garden and the past two years swallows have been nesting in them.

The first one was abandoned, they built it but never had chicks. The year after they came back built a new one and had chicks in it.

The shed is very low and a lot of welding work goes on in it. Every time i walk in the shed the adult swallows fly around in a panic and eventually fly off.

Am i stressing them out by my presence or work?

I don't want to be causing them stress or anything but i use the shed a lot and a lot of work goes on in it, is there any way to stop them coming back and i have considered taking the nests down now they are empty.

If the work and people presence doesn't bother them i would be happy to let them stay, its just that i cant imaging how welding and people walking around a low shed couldn't stress or bother them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

If they think it's good enough for them, leave it be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

whyulittle wrote: »
    If they think it's good enough for them, leave it be.

I would but they did abandoned the first nest and i have a feeling it was because they we're being disturbed to much. The second time around was different but i wouldn't like to see chicks or eggs abandoned.

Would the fumes from welding not be toxic to them plus the issue with the extreme noise from grinding.

The shed is well ventilated, the doors are always open when work is going on but i had an experience one time when we were working on a mans house. He kept birds and when the welding and grinding was done we noticed several of his birds were dead, so you can see why i am concerned.

Advertisement