Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dislocated Jaw?

Options
  • 20-02-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

First off, I'm waiting to hear back from my sugery for an appointment that will fit in with my work, so this is purely a curiosity type post rather then seeking medical advice.

Over the weekend, I got knocked over in a football game on astroturf, the middle underside of chin taking the impact (Minor cut and bleeding, now scabbed over.)
    Cleaned it up and other then a graze on my face, nothing serious.

The next morning, (Yesterday,) eating was extremely painful as was opening my mouth wide. It's better this morning, but still pain eating. Left side of my face along the jawbone is slightly swollen but no real pain to touch. Bite feels slightly out of alignment but closes fully with no pain.

Should I wait for the swelling to go down before visiting dentist, is this a slight dislocation or just knock to the joint?

Thanks for any advise folks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not a dentist and we can't give medical advice.
    But had a couple of similar injuries, but generally after 2/3 days the pain subsides. Any impact like that on an area of the body not used to impacts will definitely put a lot of strain on muscles, tendons, ligaments etc.
    If it's bugging you get it checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Cheers, I'll do that.
    Thankfully pancake Tuesday will see me through to Wednesday when if it's still an issue I have an appointment. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

A-Trak wrote: »
    First off, I'm waiting to hear back from my sugery for an appointment that will fit in with my work, so this is purely a curiosity type post rather then seeking medical advice.

Over the weekend, I got knocked over in a football game on astroturf, the middle underside of chin taking the impact (Minor cut and bleeding, now scabbed over.)
    Cleaned it up and other then a graze on my face, nothing serious.

The next morning, (Yesterday,) eating was extremely painful as was opening my mouth wide. It's better this morning, but still pain eating. Left side of my face along the jawbone is slightly swollen but no real pain to touch. Bite feels slightly out of alignment but closes fully with no pain.

Should I wait for the swelling to go down before visiting dentist, is this a slight dislocation or just knock to the joint?

Thanks for any advise folks.

Sounds like a broken jaw to me op, get it seen to, if in Dublin go to the mater or st james's.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sounds like a broken jaw to me op, get it seen to, if in Dublin go to the mater or st james's.

I'd listen to OS more than me OP.. the clue is in his username ;)

Cheers, will do.

Would a normal practice not suffice, should I get into James / The mater? Would the A&E in the dental hospital be a good option as I know they have early sessions allowing me to get back into work.

I presume the quicker the better in these cases?

• Advertisement

Cheers, will do.

Would a normal practice not suffice, should I get into James / The mater? Would the A&E in the dental hospital be a good option as I know they have early sessions allowing me to get back into work.

I presume the quicker the better in these cases?

You need a place where they have an OPG xray on site (the xray machine that spins around your head, not the very small dental xrays). Some practices have these but not all dentist are seeing fractured jaws regularly and none would be treating the fracture if present...

Sure you may wait a long time in the mater or st james... The dental hospital would also be good. They work a triage system but with your history, signs and symptoms- you'll be seen. They may then have to send you to the mater or St james but yes it would be a good place to start.

Thanks OS,

On average, how time dependant is treatment required.
    Would waiting a day or two before seeking treatment increase complications or lead to longer lasting problems?

(The pain is very moderate, my main annoyance is the odd feeling of the slight misalignment of my bite)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Get this seen to ASAP, a broken Jaw may set by itself but if you bite is off it will set in the wrong position. Seriously go now...no reply necessary.....go......

Get this seen to ASAP, a broken Jaw may set by itself but if you bite is off it will set in the wrong position. Seriously go now...no reply necessary.....go......

Thanks, sound advice.
    I'm off to the Dental Hospitals A&E for 7.30 AM in the morning.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks, sound advice.

As Fitz said, going asap is best. If you must wait till morning; eat a non chew/ liquid diet, no solids and nothing that you can chew on as you may displace the fragments further (if broken) or further traumatise the area if a "bruise to the jaw joint" etc... Also keep the mouth super clean with warm salty water rinses and corsodyl rinse as oftentimes there is a gum tear or fracture line running alongside a tooth that can become infected as it is exposed to the bugs in the mouth...

Let us know...

• Advertisement

Thanks, sound advice.

As Fitz said, going asap is best. If you must wait till morning; eat a non chew/ liquid diet, no solids and nothing that you can chew on as you may displace the fragments further (if broken) or further traumatise the area if a "bruise to the jaw joint" etc... Also keep the mouth super clean with warm salty water rinses and corsodyl rinse as oftentimes there is a gum tear or fracture line running alongside a tooth that can become infected as it is exposed to the bugs in the mouth...

Let us know...

Any update op??

Any update op??

Went into A&E in the Dental Hospital at 8AM who accepted me for treatment.
    Got 2 different X-Rays, (Similar to the one Oral Surgeon mentioned, both machines span round my head rather then the regular xrays I've had in a dentist.)

X-Rays were positive, right hand side no damage or swelling. Left hand joint had large swelling extremely limiting the width of my opening, no obvious fracture but they didn't rule a very slight one out due to my bite and size of swelling, which is the main culprit of the bite not aligning.

Either way, the reckoned no surgical procedure was required and that I was extremely lucky considering the impact that caused the cut and grazes on the other side of my face. (I look pretty battered.)

They tested for fractures on all other parts of my face, (Sinus? Cheek bones etc.)

They were extremely professional, (I was examined by some final year students as well, nice lads.)

I've a follow up next week, and a soft diet for a month.

Thanks for all the advice lads, glad I got it sorted rather then hope for the best and kudos to the students in the dental hospital, very professional.

Went into A&E in the Dental Hospital at 8AM who accepted me for treatment.
    Got 2 different X-Rays, (Similar to the one Oral Surgeon mentioned, both machines span round my head rather then the regular xrays I've had in a dentist.)

X-Rays were positive, right hand side no damage or swelling. Left hand joint had large swelling extremely limiting the width of my opening, no obvious fracture but they didn't rule a very slight one out due to my bite and size of swelling, which is the main culprit of the bite not aligning.

Either way, the reckoned no surgical procedure was required and that I was extremely lucky considering the impact that caused the cut and grazes on the other side of my face. (I look pretty battered.)

They tested for fractures on all other parts of my face, (Sinus? Cheek bones etc.)

They were extremely professional, (I was examined by some final year students as well, nice lads.)

I've a follow up next week, and a soft diet for a month.

Thanks for all the advice lads, glad I got it sorted rather then hope for the best and kudos to the students in the dental hospital, very professional.

That's good to hear,
    All the best,
    OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Well you avoided a GA......onwards and upwards.

Advertisement