Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do lizards play dead?

Options
  • 20-02-2012 12:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was sweeping up the shed the other day when an odd shape caught my eye. On the floor was a very small lizard. The tiny thing wasn't moving but I scooped him up with some paper and put him outside in the grass where he remained inert. But minutes later when I went to check on him again he was gone. So assuming he hadn't become some other animals dinner was he playing dead until he felt it safe to move on?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I accidentally stood on one (on very soft ground so it wasn't injured!) and held it in my hand for a good 5 minutes, convinced it was dead, until it started perking up and moving it's head around. Put it back on the ground and it immediately scarpered back into the undergrowth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Plenty of animals play dead when startled.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I'm guessing you found a hibernating newt and not a lizard

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

I'm guessing you found a hibernating newt and not a lizard

Mark
    ireland has a native specie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

lizard.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement