Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 Modeo or 02 Passat

Options
  • 20-02-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice - I have about 2k to spend and am looking at either a Mondeo 1.8 Petrol or a Passat 1.9 Diesel.

I would prefer the Passat but just want to find the car that will give me least amount of headaches and cheap to fix if something goes wrong.

Any advice for me - on even a 3rd option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Doubt you get an 02 passat oil burner for 2k..

Well, with less than 133,653,778 miles on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

homer90 wrote: »

Doubt you get an 02 passat oil burner for 2k..

Well, with less than 133,653,778 miles on it.

indeed, but he will get a petrol mondeo oil burner, because there is nothing better to burn oil than a petrol mondeo! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

MidlandsM wrote: »
    indeed, but he will get a petrol mondeo oil burner, because there is nothing better to burn oil than a petrol mondeo! ;)
    really, i've done about 5-6k miles in my 02 mondeo since i got it and it hasn't lost any oil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

guil wrote: »
    really, i've done about 5-6k miles in my 02 mondeo since i got it and it hasn't lost any oil

Same on my 03

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

guil wrote: »
    Same on my 03
    Probably because you both have the Mazda 1.8 engine that was introduced in 02 due to the crappyness of the Ford unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

I would go for Mazda 6 or Honda Civic.

I bough a 00 Passat years ago and everything that could go wrong with it went wrong. I know this is just bad luck (or not being able to spot a bad second hand car on my side...) but it put me off VW for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Diesel Mondeo > diesel Passat. Factor in a new clutch and flywheel for either motor over 150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

fptosca wrote: »
    I would go for Mazda 6 or Honda Civic.

I bough a 00 Passat years ago and everything that could go wrong with it went wrong. I know this is just bad luck (or not being able to spot a bad second hand car on my side...) but it put me off VW for good.

Thanks for the replies lads - I had a 00 Passat and it was a little gem - before I got blown off the road and it was written off. I bought a Civic saloon then (4 years ago) and have always hated it - don't know why, never really liked it. It has never given me any trouble - but really want a change.

Still not sure what to opt for, the Mazda 6 would be perfect, not sure it will come within my price range though. Diesel Mondeo maybe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I had MK3 Mondeo 1.8, and it acutally brought me more problems than fun.
    During 1 year and about 25k kms, I had to do the following:
    - change ignition wires as engine was misfiring
    - radio stopped receiving FM stations (I never repaired it actually).
    - rear wiper stopped working - I fixed it.
    - I had to change fan belt tensioner as it was faulty
    - 2 front wishbone ball-joints needed replacing
    - accelerator cable snapped so I had to get a new one (I waited for 4 weeks from main ford dealer)
    - coolant plastic container cracked and started leaking - I had to get a new one.
    - in the end little plastic flaps in intake manifold started rattling, which was indication that they might snap soon and feck the engine, as well as engine started burning about 1litre of oil per 1000km, so I got rid of this car.

I'm not saying every mondeo is like that.
    Mine had 95k mls when I bought it, and looked reasonable good condition.
    Anyway - so far it was the worst car I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

murphym7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads - I had a 00 Passat and it was a little gem - before I got blown off the road and it was written off. I bought a Civic saloon then (4 years ago) and have always hated it - don't know why, never really liked it. It has never given me any trouble - but really want a change.

Still not sure what to opt for, the Mazda 6 would be perfect, not sure it will come within my price range though. Diesel Mondeo maybe so.

There are:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2951144
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3033706

• Advertisement
Advertisement