Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling socks - are they better than regular/hiking socks?

Options
  • 20-02-2012 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

I'm spending more time on the bike recently and one thing that I've noticed is that my toes get cold to the point of going numb. I'm using Northwave SBS shoes and I was wearing hiking socks to keep them warm, but that just isn't working. I put up 47 miles yesterday and when I got home my foot was numb from the toes, down past the ball of the foot.

I know that cycling socks exist; do they have thermal properties? Or would you recommend I try something else?

Or would overshoes be a better bet at this time of year? I'm assuming that this problem is going to go away as the weather gets warmer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

I'm spending more time on the bike recently and one thing that I've noticed is that my toes get cold to the point of going numb. I'm using Northwave SBS shoes and I was wearing hiking socks to keep them warm, but that just isn't working. I put up 47 miles yesterday and when I got home my foot was numb from the toes, down past the ball of the foot.

I know that cycling socks exist; do they have thermal properties? Or would you recommend I try something else?

Or would overshoes be a better bet at this time of year? I'm assuming that this problem is going to go away as the weather gets warmer.

I always wear over shoes this time of year. Mad not to IMO. I also put knee high hiking socks under my tights. Nice and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

Overshoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭squeaky crank

RPL1 wrote: »
    Overshoes!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

cycling socks are just more comfortable than hiking socks because they aren't so bulky. The warmth factor is probably the same though.

Do be sure you don't use socks with any cotton in, as that'll hold the sweat close to yer feet 'n' make 'em colder.

Overshoes are the equipment made for colder weather tho. I don't use 'em myself, but my feet do go numb. I'm just a masochist I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I wear normal ankle socks, nothing special. Good roubaix cycling trousers and BBB heavy duty overshoes (as posted above). My feet are always lovely and warm regardless of the cold.

For this time of year you've got to wear overshoes. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Cycling socks are usually shorter and have arch supports. Once they're made of the same material (e.g. fancy wool), there's no magical difference in insulative properties. If you shoes don't have thinsulate or some sort of insulation/windproofing, you'll need decent overshoes to keep feet warm.

It's also worth noting that numbness isn't always from the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

oflahero wrote: »

Beat me to it...well played sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

In the winter I wear dual layer ski socks but I make sure not too do my shoes up too tight as it will restrict blood flow to my toes. I also wear oversocks and Thermal Goretex overshoes when there is a really biting wind

• Advertisement

oflahero wrote: »
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Beat me to it...well played sir!

So...do you think they did it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    So...do you think they did it...?

Sure... Everyone knows that lycra wearing cyclists are gay :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

The shoes aren't too tight, as I can move my toes and the top part of my foot around with no constriction. I'll look into getting some overshoes this week, along with a saddle pack.

Money, money, money... :)

along with a saddle pack

If you can't fit what you need into your pockets then you're doing it wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Overshoes +++
    Cycling socks are usually shorter and have arch supports.

Is the amount of arch support given by cycling socks measured in nanograms, attograms or even yoctograms ?

;)

If you can't fit what you need into your pockets then you're doing it wrong :pac:
    Bought my first pair of bib shorts on Saturday and they have no pockets. I don't want to store the necessities somewhere less comfortable.

Bought my first pair of bib shorts on Saturday and they have no pockets. I don't want to store the necessities somewhere less comfortable.

Don't you wear a jersey/jacket with three pockets on the back?

Edit: I don't think any bibs have pockets.

Don't you wear a jersey/jacket with three pockets on the back?
    As a matter of fact, I do. It's an Altura Night Vision jacket. The three pockets are vertical and open. I think I'd be paranoid that stuff would fall out and I'd be constantly checking them.

Advertisement