Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shutting down Whitney Houston thread

Options
  • 20-02-2012 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Guys I'm going to lock this thread as we had an issue here before which speculated on a recently deceased celebrity and many peoples assumption of homosexuality regarding them. It was a disasterous thread which went nowhere.

If anyone has a problem with this decision feel free to PM me, but I don't think this is a topic for discussion here at this time. The womans funeral was just yesterday. She constantly asserted she was straight, and I don't think we have any right to decide otherwise.

I find it incredible that a thread gets shut down for all the wrong reasons.
    First, I'm trying to ignite a discussion re homophobia and what it can do to people. Peter Thatchell is I think the most vocal supporter of gay rights and has among his many campaigns he has highlighted the blatant homophobia prevalent among some rap artists as well as highlighted human rights abuses against LGBT people all over the world.
    Thatchell knew Houston, and he states his knowledge of Whitney. He is NOT speculating.
    As for me, I lived for long time in NY and my partner knew Houston and Crawford as a gay couple. I didn't know them, but was aware of her predicament as an emerging artist who happened to be gay, in the anti-gay politically charged years of the 80s/90s.
    I've seen too many gay people end their lives suddenly or get involved alcohol/drug abuse simply because they feel terrified to admit their sexuality, feel they have to conform to some societal norm and they labour in tremendous pain for the rest of their lives. While things have changed alot, it's something that needs to be addressed.
    To watch this talented and beautiful girl slowly deteriorate following her coerced marriage to Brown was incredibly sad. Think of what might have been-this woman living happily with her partner/wife, no addiction and still at the peak of her profession, and alive.
    If the calibre of monitoring that I've just been subjected to is the norm on this site, I expect this thread to be shut down again.
    What I would like is not to discuss Houston but rather how people still feel they have to hide their sexuality. But I guess there's little chance of it on here.
    I fail to see what the recent funeral has to do with it all. Rather the question is, where was Robyn Crawford?:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement