Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goggles

Options
  • 20-02-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Need a pair an my gym doesn't have any. Can anybody give some recommendations for pool/open-water (triathlon)? Is there savings to be had by buying online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

A pair of speedo's aren't that expensive in a shop and you get to see what they really look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

A pair of speedo's aren't that expensive in a shop and you get to see what they really look like.
    Champion Sports and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

These appear to be popular over on wiggle:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/aqua-sphere-kayenne-goggles/

Might give them a try, seeing as how I won't be able to go to a sports shop until next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Elvery's seem to have a good slection of goggles. Bit pricey compared to the internet.

I'd be wary of buying goggles without trying them in case they don't fit - especially types without an adjustable nose piece.

Personally I prefer smaller goggles like the speedo speed socket - less circumference = lower probability of leakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

These appear to be popular over on wiggle:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/aqua-sphere-kayenne-goggles/

Might give them a try, seeing as how I won't be able to go to a sports shop until next weekend.

I have a pair of these. Had them for 6 months now. Prior to investing in them I too was a fan of Speedo goggles but IMHO you get what you pay for with goggles. These ones fit tightly to the eye giving less chance of steaming up (I find) and whereas I would go through at least 2 pairs of speedo's a year, so far these do not look like they've even been used and I swim most days..

I thought they would be hideous as they're much larger than speedos but they're far more comfortable to wear in my view anyway..

FBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

This is a review I did of a number of pairs I went through looking for the ideal pair.

Remember goggles are very subjective.

Firstly the conditions in which I tested these goggles are at least 3 sessions and one of the sessions in the open water or in triathlons.

Speedo Futura Biofuse Goggle €18
    Got these as a spare goggle to have in the car for opportunist swims, the fit is comfortable and the eye sockets are not too harsh, these are one peace goggles which I always prefer due to having a fairly standard nose size and less points to fail on the goggles. I got the clear lenses as I don’t like colours lenses (more later). On putting them on they are easy to adjust with a locking system simular to other manufacturers so no problem there, the view out of them is good for open water, but you can see a good bit of the frame when sighting. The issue I have with these goggles is on a long swim the tend to move around on the face and leaks begin to sneak in after about 20 mins, in the open water I had little confidence in them and waves tended to shorten the time it takes for the leaks to come in. So in summary, I would use them for pool swimming and for €18 it is a good price but I would not buy them again.

Blueseventy Vision 31 Large Frame Goggles €17
    I was tempted into buying these in a tri-shop, all the pretty things and packaging tempted me into this purchase. Opening the nice packaging and the sip lock bag these look like the bees knees. There not. The left goggle leaks all the time, the fitting is poor and the lenses are way to dark for anything you could do in Ireland other than the longest day of the year at 30 degrees and swimming into a setting son. Marketing works.

Aqua Sphere Kayenne Goggles €20.16
    I bought these to replace the rubbish Blueseventy ones and first off they look huge in the box, but come in a handy box which helps avoid scrapes. The view is brilliant, a clear lens and totally uncluttered, sighting in the open water is spot on you can really just glance out the top of your stroke and see all around, the profile is slim and straps secure, so getting them pulled off in a race is unlikely. These glasses are the best I have ever used. highly recommended for every type of swimming. I bought the black ones, if you like a little less noticeable they have them in white frames also.

Aqua Sphere Eagle €19
    I bought these on the back of the other Aqua Sphere goggles, why you ask, well if you are completely blind as I am and don’t want to put in your contacts every time you swim these come as prescription or non prescription. All you have to do is buy the glass part of the goggle in your prescription and clip them in. I was not to convinced this would work but got them anyway and they work brilliant, no leaks, none. I was amazed. Although they don’t have the view range of the Kayenne they are more than sufficient. About the same view range of the Speedo’s but more comfortable and inspire more confidence. All the Aqua Spheres seem to be bigger on first view, but I think the extra size is well worth it, no leaks and very comfortable over an hour session in open water and pool.

The prices are rough.
    Hope the info is helpful. All goggles are available from online shops and triathlon shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

have used the kayenne and found them excellent . . . . have a pair of eagle that i am about to try out because prescription lenses are available to fit them, which in open water would come in handy for an auld lad like me!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I wore tyr nest pro all last year, and thought they were good. I had tried aquasphere kayennes before and they fogged really badly so I avoided them until quite late in the season last year, when I got a pair of lady kaiman, and used anti fog solution with them. They are really good once I treat them with af from time to time, but they do leave a bit of goggle eye. (I have a problem with most goggles because I have to wear them pretty tight). The worst Ive tried were zogg phantom, they really didnt suit me, I had to wear them far too tight as they were buggers to leak.

Up to now Ive worn clear lenses but I have a tinted pair of kaimans ready to go for open water, I used to find it hard to sight into the sun and these should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

I normally just wear any pair of speedo goggles, they are quite comfy and last for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I thought it would be easier than opening a new one.

Could anybody tell me if there are any sports stores in Dublin that stock Aqua Sphere Kayenne goggles?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

Elverys on Suffolk St & Arnotts have a decent range and they stock Aqua Sphere.
    Great Outdoors stock Aqua Sphere goggles too. Pretty sure they have Kayenne

lexa wrote: »
    Elverys on Suffolk St & Arnotts have a decent range and they stock Aqua Sphere.
    Great Outdoors stock Aqua Sphere goggles too. Pretty sure they have Kayenne

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately Elverys in Arnotts don't sell Aqua Sphere goggles, only Speedo & Zoggs. The old sports store in Arnotts used sell them but Elverys don't seem to stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

Great outdoors defintely do them. I've got Aqua sphere goggles there before.

lexa wrote: »
    Great outdoors defintely do them. I've got Aqua sphere goggles there before.

Will have a look in Great outdoors, thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Have a pair of Aqua sphere and love them, got them in the Cycle Superstore Tallaght. Way better than Speedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭martin6651

I have a pair of Aqua Sphere for 3 years and are used daily in my open water swims. I would recommend them to any one.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lost my Aqua Sphere ladies Kaiman ones over the holidays back home, stuck now with a cheapo pair of Speedo Merits that I grabbed in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

I'm using speedo rift pro which I find very comfortable, have tried zoggs predator, aqua sphere kayenne and a pair of blue seventy goggles, can't remember what they were and for me the speedo are the most comfy but each to their own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Thanks for that sawdoubters. The link showed Swedish Goggles in the list and back in the day we called them Godfrey Goggles so I couldn't find any anywhere.

2 pairs now on order from Amazon :-)

• Advertisement

So I went all over town yesterday trying to find Goggles. As Arnotts is near my work I dropped in there on my lunch break to see what they had. They are actually stocking Aqua Sphere goggles now so apologies to Lexa. They had a huge selection of ladies goggles but had very little men's, only the large face ones. One of the girls working there advised me to try Elverys in Clearys department store which I did but they had none at all. So I asked a guy working there to ring Suffolk St Store & they said they had loads in stock. After work I first tried The Great Outdoors water sports shop & they had the Aqua Sphere Kayenne's. But then paid a visit to Elvery's on Suffolk Street & they had a much bigger selection. In the end I bought a pair of Aqua Sphere Kaimans instead of the Kayenne's because of the good reviews they've got. Thanks for all the advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

On the subject of goggles does anyone know of any good swimming caps (ladies). I find alot of them to big and are just slipping off my head. If i go for childs size too small. And good recommendation male or female.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

JEmily wrote: »
    On the subject of goggles does anyone know of any good swimming caps (ladies). I find alot of them to big and are just slipping off my head. If i go for childs size too small. And good recommendation male or female.
    Arena do a small fitting silicone one, I know this because I was given one and it wont go on my head. :p I always find silicone a better fit than rubber anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

For me it was the Zoggs predator range suited me the best up until a few years ago when i think they changed the design and narrowed the fit a bit, these became uncomfortable on longer swims of say 1 hour +

Moved onto Finis Surge goggles and never looked back - best paid i have tried yet and i have went through a lot of goggles trying to find the right ones. I see them a bit more regularly on other people around the pool now too

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/goggles/finis-surge-goggles.html

Goggles are a personal thing and by trial and error you will find the one that suits you best

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

MD1983 wrote: »
    For me it was the Zoggs predator range suited me the best up until a few years ago when i think they changed the design and narrowed the fit a bit, these became uncomfortable on longer swims of say 1 hour +

Moved onto Finis Surge goggles and never looked back - best paid i have tried yet and i have went through a lot of goggles trying to find the right ones. I see them a bit more regularly on other people around the pool now too

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/goggles/finis-surge-goggles.html

Goggles are a personal thing and by trial and error you will find the one that suits you best

Have read they can fog up fairly easy? Can you confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

I havent had any problems with fogging and have worn them for all sorts of swimming - sea, river, lake in Ireland and abroad, pools warm and cold etc. some googles that i have had did fog up but i dont have an issue with these ones.

where did you read that fogging up complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

^^Think it was on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

I've been through most of the popular brands but I keep coming back to Speedo Futura. Have used them for training and long ow swims. Kids use them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Diamond_25

griffin100 wrote: »
    I've been through most of the popular brands but I keep coming back to Speedo Futura. Have used them for training and long ow swims. Kids use them as well.

tried those before and wasn't a fan - goggles are a personal thing I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I have Zoggs Predators now about 3 months, and they replaced a pair of Speedo Futura. They are definitely a better construction than the Speedo goggle and the larger lens area allows for better allround visibility but I find they fog up relatively quickly - approximately 10/15 mins for me - although not as quick as the Futuras. No issue with leaking for me, which is a first.

The Zoggs are a much better fit than the Speedos for me, and feel like a more expensive/durable piece of kit. In the meantime the search goes on for the magic pair of goggles that never fog up, fit perfectly, and never leak.

Advertisement