Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainspotter v Rail Enthusiast

Options
  • 19-02-2012 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

I reckon the difference is that the latter are interested in all aspects of rail whereas the former are only interested in collecting numbers,photographing and riding on trains.

Another forum I sometimes frequent has almost exclusive posts on current operations and if you post something in the history section, it gets no replies at all.

On the other hand, this fledgling forum of ours covers a broad spectrum of subjects, I'm quite pleased with it so far. How else can we improve it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

As a former railway enthusiast I have never liked the term 'train spotter' and in the Irish context is just daft, as a day spent in Connolly or Heuston would have almost every operational item of stock ticked off in your spotters notebook. In the UK there is/was some challenge in being a spotter due to the sheer amount of locos and stock but it would never have appealed to me. Some of the ITG lads - including the founder members (Pete Jones in particular) have/had it really bad. I seem to remember him telling me that he had a thousand miles up behind each A-class!

Anyway, I like the new Train & Rail Systems sub-forum and let's keep it civil and leave the contentious stuff in the main Commuting & Transport Forum. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

^^^^ Former???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

There is such a broad spectrum of people who enjoy different aspects of the railway, whether it be preservation, historical, operations or just number taking, I don’t think you could pigeon hole them into categories.

As for progressing this forum, it is a relatively new addition to boards. Its has just about found its footing with regards to what topics are discussed here and the small user base seems to be growing. I think the best way to do this is to just keep posting interesting and informative posts that will draw people in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

The way I figure it is you can confer whatever title you like on yourself, but the person passing by on a train, observing you standing on a platform gazing at trains will more than likely refer to you as a 'trainspotter'. ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The way I figure it is you can confer whatever title you like on yourself, but the person passing by on a train, observing you standing on a platform gazing at trains will more than likely refer to you as a 'trainspotter'. ;):D

yes, my own wife called me a Trainspotter the other day...it must be 30 years since I wrote down a number or owned an Ian Allan ABC.
    My point really is that trainspotter ONLY stand on platform ends and gazes at trains, whereas the whole rail thing is much bigger and more varied than that. My interest is mainly in the Historical aspects nowadays, with leanings towards the Preservation Scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Enthusiast is more accurate a term for those of us who do something practical or partake in running some aspect of railway history. Be it hands on operations at Downpatrick or West Clare or Dromod, helping to restore what is left or with the RPSI or ITG or maybe the more paperwork, research or archivist work that the likes of the IRRS or other historical bodies lend themself towards, we are actively out trying to better what is already there.

Trainspotting on the other hand is little more than taking notes of active fleet or taking photos of stuff. Oh yeah, and moaning about what the other societies won't preserve or run or do while doing bugger all about it in the first place :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Train Spotters are usually accustomed to wearing protective clothing as they tend to be more exposed to the elements than Rail Enthusiasts. Train spotters also prefer to take along a packed lunch rather than dine in the comfort of a hotel restaurant such as rail enthusiasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Train Spotters are usually accustomed to wearing protective clothing as they tend to be more exposed to the elements than Rail Enthusiasts. Train spotters also prefer to take along a packed lunch rather than dine in the comfort of a hotel restaurant such as rail enthusiasts.

Careful now! :D

corktina wrote: »
    yes, my own wife called me a Trainspotter the other day...it must be 30 years since I wrote down a number or owned an Ian Allan ABC.
    My point really is that trainspotter ONLY stand on platform ends and gazes at trains, whereas the whole rail thing is much bigger and more varied than that. My interest is mainly in the Historical aspects nowadays, with leanings towards the Preservation Scene.

Standing on the road bridge in Donnycarney/Killester recently with Mrs steamengine, waiting for the northbound Enterprise with camera at the ready, these two ladies were coming along the path with their bags of shopping. Just as they passed us, one of them smiled and said "Ah doing a bit of train spotting, are we"??? Caught red handed I guess, we all laughed. ;):D

Careful now! :D
    There is no mention of any of those unacceptable words or phrases. :p

• Advertisement

Standing on the road bridge in Donnycarney/Killester recently with Mrs steamengine, waiting for the northbound Enterprise with camera at the ready, these two ladies were coming along the path with their bags of shopping. Just as they passed us, one of them smiled and said "Ah doing a bit of train spotting, are we"??? Caught red handed I guess, we all laughed. ;):D

you should have snogged the face off the mrs to put them off the scent...

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

i think the difference is fairly obvious.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Now i did have a good laugh when Roy Cropper appeared!!

Now i did have a good laugh when Roy Cropper appeared!!

is he the one in the pink bra?

you should have snogged the face off the mrs to put them off the scent...

........and turn down the opportunity of being called a trainspotter - you must be joking. Recognition at last ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Why does it matter to ye what the difference is between the two?

just curious.

Why does it matter to ye what the difference is between the two?

just curious.
    One doesn't seem to make any sense at all while the other can be quite interesting, :p

maybe its just one more thing to give out about :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 starhillroad

Maybe the embarrassment is down to the perception of the system. The gutter press in Britain likes to run down their system, even though they run a higher proportion of 100mph+ trains at a higher frequency than anyone except (perhaps) the Japanese.

Ireland, other than the DART has to gradually overcome the psychological memory of the Black and Orange banger train breaking down at Rathdrum in 1980 something on a summers day, when all most could afford was a wet weekend in Wexford.

I'd imagine its like being a Greek railway enthusiast now, and Irelands system has evolved by leaps and bounds since the dark days of the 1980s, and even the 1990's until the Knockcroghery crash.

So sadly, its not fashionable, or 'cool'. Thats the public perception. Its almost down there with being an old man down to his last 5 Euro in Paddy Powers, and hoping to scrape the price of the next pint on the 5.15 at Kempton Park.

I'd prefer rail enthusiast. Trainspotter sounds downright rude. It does'nt also cover the spectrum of the interest. Some people like to travel, some can't afford to, or have the time, so they choose to watch.

And maybe dream of travelling, and hope of the day they can afford to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

So sadly, its not fashionable, or 'cool'. Thats the public perception.

Funnily enough, it is 'cool' to know everything about premiership teams, footballers, who their current 'wags' are, what they eat for breakfast and they call us anoraks???

now you said it!

I can understand people playing sport, but WATCHING it? not so much.

I can understand people playing sport, but WATCHING it? not so much.

I may be a bit slow on the uptake but are you serious?

Advertisement