Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last minute flights to Chicago..

Options
  • 19-02-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Does anybody know a website that may do cheap last minute flights to Chicago?

Is see on Aer Lingus they are €600 direct, which is pretty good i suppose, but Im just wondering if there's a site that would sell off remaining seats on the cheap, maybe 12 hours before the flight etc??

TIA
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Try skyscanner, but flights don't go cheap with a few hours to go, they tend shoot up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭joe2687

OK thanks... Yeah tried skyscanner alright, but thought that if they had empty seats a few hours before the flight they may sell them off cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭lc180

joe2687 wrote: »
    thought that if they had empty seats a few hours before the flight they may sell them off cheap!

I kinda always thought that also, it makes sense to make some $$$ instead of the seats being empty! Unfortunately I've never found an airline have a last minute fire-sale on empty seats. If you happen to have any luck with this please do share :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Yonge Street

I have found return flights for Dublin to Chicago for €434 with US airways. Leave Feb 23 and arrive home Feb 29. That's far cheaper than Aer Lingus.

Just to clarify, is the whole booking flights at the last minute for cheap thing a myth?

That's a far better price than Aer Lingus alright, also suggests the prices don't goup very close to date of flying!

Still trying to figure out if its a myth or not, it's hard to know. I heard stories of lads in the states literally showing up at the airport 6 hours before a flight and getting a seat very cheap at the last minute, but that could be a myth!

• Advertisement

lc180 wrote: »
    If you happen to have any luck with this please do share :D

Will do! Gonna keep on the lookout anyway, may get lucky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

It used to be the way that you'd get cheap flights by doing that, turning up to the airport and not caring where you are going to, just wanting a cheap flight...

Airliines had to stop this as an increasing number of people weren't booking flights until last minute, waiting for them to drop.

So now prices tend to go up closer to the time, although I'm not sure if the long haul flights do it to the same degree as ryan air. Michael O Leary said his biggest profits come from people going to funerals!

You survived for a the weeks without her anyway Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just to clarify, is the whole booking flights at the last minute for cheap thing a myth?

Nope. I lived in the US for 17 years and would come home several times a year. I did lots of research into best times to book/cheapest times to book, all to no avail. I always wound up paying between $700-900 per flights, depending on the time of year.

Got the dreaded "Come home, your mother doesn't have long" phone call. Called Delta to book a flight that departed 14 hours later. Paid $550 & that was NOT the quoted bereavement fare. I was so frazzled, it didn't even occur to me to ask for it. Couldn't believe it. I was expecting to get royally shafted for thousands.

However, that being said, it is not something that I would make definite plans around it happening ever again, such as paying for a hotel room in advance, on the presumption that I'd be able to get a cheap last minute flight. What are the odds of that happening ever again? I don't know, and I hope I never have to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I don't know how many of the local travel agent sites Skyscanner search but try people like GoHop, American Holidays, Club Travel and Trailfinders.

Advertisement