Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought car from dealer, NCT question

Options
  • 19-02-2012 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭

Put a deposit on a car yesterday, it's a 2002. Will be collecting it next Saturday (he's putting a new battery into it and checking if the timing belt needs changing), NCT cert on window said 04/12 and mentioned it to dealer, he said it should pass it fine. Came home and looked the car up online, in fairness, he had marked it as sold already but then noticed that the ad says it would have a new NCT until 04/2013. I took a screenshot of it before the ad disappeared... Do you think I should ring him and ask him to NCT it because the ad says it will have the fresh one??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Wasn't part of your deal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

January wrote: »
    and checking if the timing belt needs changing

How can he check that?
    If it's known when was it changed last time, there wouldn't be any need for checking.
    If it isn't then I can't imagine how can it be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Don't take the car until it's NCT'd.

Have you had it checked out by a mechanic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Don't take the car until it's NCT'd.

Have you had it checked out by a mechanic?

No, my father in laws mechanic is checking it out during the week. I've no idea how he'll know if the timing belt needed changing, he had a look at it when we were there and said it looked fine but he'd get his mechanic to check it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It can be tested right now so make him do it. Dont agree to any of that nct guarantee stuff either. If he is not willing to test it asap, walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

No, my father in laws mechanic is checking it out during the week. I've no idea how he'll know if the timing belt needed changing, he had a look at it when we were there and said it looked fine but he'd get his mechanic to check it out?

Make sure he tests it and get your dad to give it a good look over. As for the timing belt what sort of a car is it and what mileage is on it..

The add that you saw, did you pay the asking price on the add?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

how he'll know if the timing belt needed changing, he had a look at it when we were there and said it looked fine

Oh dear, classic used car salesman bollocks :D

Timing belts are due to be changed at set intervals based on either mileage or time (whatever comes first). What mileage is on the car and what car is it? If you do not have proof that the belt was changed, it needs changing immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

He wont have any real way of telling. So unless it can be shown how long ago and at what mileage, then they need changing straight away. Its not only the belt itself that can fail, but tensioner or items driven by it also, that can lead to failure.

It's a 2002 Opel Zafira 1.6 litre, mileage is 128k miles, we agreed asking price (was 2500, dealer agreed to give 500 on a trade in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

It's a 2002 Opel Zafira 1.6 litre, mileage is 128k miles....

Every 40k miles for the timing belt on that I believe, so it should have had one recently.

In fairness, on that price you can't really expect the dealer to have the belt change included. Did he "guarantee" it would pass the NCT?

unkel wrote: »
    In fairness, on that price you can't really expect the dealer to have the belt change included. Did he "guarantee" it would pass the NCT?

No, no guarantee that it would pass, a 1 month warranty on the car, and he said if he doesn't change the belt he'll give it to us for 2400 instead of 2500.

No, no guarantee that it would pass, a 1 month warranty on the car

Put it through the test straight away and if there's anything wrong let the dealer fix it within the warranty :)
    he said if he doesn't change the belt he'll give it to us for 2400 instead of 2500.

Pay him 2600 if he does include the belt :D

Seriously, that job will cost about 300-400 in an independent garage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No NCT even though he could get it done today? A 1 month "warranty" (in violation of your statutory rights)? Run a mile OP and buy a decent private sale instead!

Yeah it's pretty bad. Used car sales at its worst. Was it somewhere near the Naas road perchance? :)

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty bad. Used car sales at its worst. Was it somewhere near the Naas road perchance? :)

Nope, but we were on our way over to view a car in that Naas Road place when we couldn't find it and rang to ask directions to be told the car was already sold, lucky I think... I will ring him and mention the NCT to him, the ad does say it comes with a new NCT and we didn't see the ad before we bought the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

CiniO wrote: »

How can he check that?
    If it's known when was it changed last time, there wouldn't be any need for checking.
    If it isn't then I can't imagine how can it be checked.

Isn't it generally written on the belt ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MugMugs wrote: »

Tippexed on the cover normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Tippexed on the cover normally.

Or that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Or that :)

Heh, but tippex costs 2 quid, and everyone can use it to write a mileage on belt cover ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If the OP lets the dealer change the belt then IMO the best-case scenario is that the dealer changes just the belt. If there's no proof of the belt having been changed recently then the only way i'd have recommended buying that car would be with the NCT already done and at a price that would allow the belt, tensioners & water pump to be done by a good indy.

Anan1 wrote: »
    If the OP lets the dealer change the belt then IMO the best-case scenario is that the dealer changes just the belt.

Yeah or just say he changed it. Wouldn't trust him. OP, do the 2400 deal and have the car serviced and timing belt kit fitted by an independent mechanic you trust. All in all you didn't get a bad deal if the car is ok. Those Zafiras (or any smallish 7 seaters) are popular enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'd agree, invest a bit in the car by getting a timing belt kit and full service done. It will stand to it. If a belt goes on you then that's your money down the drain.

Advertisement