Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A3/Astra Dilemma!!!!

Options
  • 19-02-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

well hello, this is my first post on boards so sorry if its in the wrong section etc. I have an 05 1.4 sxi gtc opel and im looking to trade for an Audi a3, 2005 on wards, have been primarily looking for a diesel but 1.6 petrol models seem quite good value. The main reason for change is i'm commuting a lot now and astra is struggling on motorway, would i be mad to go for 1.6 a3? and would I see much benefit of fuel consumption on motorway?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The 1.6 A3 is a pig on juice and will be worse than the Astra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

EPM wrote: »

+1, why not consider a diesel Astra? You'll get a lot more car for your money compared to the Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Really? Would a 1.6 Golf be the same / similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jamiemaguire

+1, why not consider a diesel Astra? You'll get a lot more car for your money compared to the Audi.

hmmmm......Yeah already have considered gtc astra diesel, but i still think id rather an a3. I dont plan to change next car I buy for a long time, and i know one day id be in traffic and an A3 would pull up beside me and i'd regret not getting one

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Really? Would a 1.6 Golf be the same / similar?

exact same engine as far as I know, presuming there from same era.

• Advertisement

even on motorway miles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

hmmmm......Yeah already have considered gtc astra diesel, but i still think id rather an a3. I dont plan to change next car I buy for a long time, and i know one day id be in traffic and an A3 would pull up beside me and i'd regret not getting one

Fair enough, but if you buy a petrol A3, you can be sure a diesel one will pull up one day and you'll regret that!
    even on motorway miles?

Yep, it's a fairly old, unrefined engine. It would be fairly bad on juice, thats from experience.

What mileage do you do a year?

Fair enough, but if you buy a petrol A3, you can be sure a diesel one will pull up one day and you'll regret that!

Yep, it's a fairly old, unrefined engine. It would be fairly bad on juice, thats from experience.

What mileage do you do a year?

do about 800-900 km a WEEK, so well worth paying extra tax, as will rebalance with lower fuel costs. anyone know mpg of 1.4 astra and mpg of 1.9tdi a3?

exact same engine as far as I know, presuming there from same era.

Would have thought so myself. How bad is bad? Obviously a 1.6 equivalent class Jap would be lighter / more economic. Does the Astra come in 1.6 and if so how does it fair against the A3 / Golf? (I haven't driven a small engined car in donkeys)

The gearing is stupidly short, it's the same as in the Golf, Octavia and Leon. I used to get 27mpg on the motorway from Cork to Dublin at about 140 with that engine.

The 1.6 in the Astra is actually fairly decent.

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Would have thought so myself. How bad is bad? Obviously a 1.6 equivalent class Jap would be lighter / more economic. Does the Astra come in 1.6 and if so how does it fair against the A3 / Golf? (I haven't driven a small engined car in donkeys)

well doing the research about 35 combined mpg bad, probably less. yeah astra comes in 1.6 but also comes in 1.7 turbo diesel, 1.3 turbo diesel and 1.4 petrol, so If i was you i'd opt for one of them. How does it fair against a3/golf? well depends on what your taste is, I have a sports model 3dr astra, and its far nicer than bog standard golf or a3, but i prefer higher model a3's than any astra, even though i love mine.

The gearing is stupidly short, it's the same as in the Golf, Octavia and Leon. I used to get 27mpg on the motorway from Cork to Dublin at about 140 with that engine.

The 1.6 in the Astra is actually fairly decent.

Wouldn't have thought there would have been much between a 1.6 A3 and a 1.6 Astra.

Anhow, OP is doing 40k km + / yr so should really be looking at a diesel (unless they're doing a hell of a lot of school runs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Isn't an A3 just an overpriced golf, same chassis and mechanicals?

531 wrote: »

Isn't a Golf just an overpriced Skoda or Seat?

;)

yes, true. But I prefer looks of A3.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Isn't a Golf just an overpriced Skoda or Seat?

;)

And Skodas and Seats are just overpriced!

And Skodas and Seats are just overpriced!

hmmmm thats where i think your wrong, skoads are very well priced and are exceptional value second hand.
    Just look at this:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2998088
    Excellent price for what is a golf chassis, but more space like passat, you would not get a golf/passat for anywhere near that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

hmmmm thats where i think your wrong, skoads are very well priced and are exceptional value second hand.
    Just look at this:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2998088
    Excellent price for what is a golf chassis, but more space like passat, you would not get a golf/passat for anywhere near that price.
    162k miles, it's hardly fresh... and it's not like a Passat for space, except maybe the boot, but I don't sit in the boot when driving!

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    162k miles, it's hardly fresh... and it's not like a Passat for space, except maybe the boot, but I don't sit in the boot when driving!

according to specs, octavia measures 4569mm and passat measures 4699, thats not a whole lot? and true 162k miles not fresh but you wouldnt get a 2005 passat for that kind of money even with that amount of miles.
    Anyway regardless, id have a passat anyday, but if u were on a budget its a whole lot of car for little money, and there not overpriced.

Advertisement