Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far do you cycle to work?

Options
  • 19-02-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey all,

I am wondering how far does the average cyclist cycle to work each day? With the cost of running a car I am considering cycling to work at least a few days a week. My commute is 9.5 miles, so I'd be saving significantly on petrol and of course I'd be increasing fitness. I used to be quite fit but not so much anymore!

How difficult would it be to get from couch to 9.5 miles? What kind of bike should I be looking at getting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

There have been a few threads on this subject recently if you want to do a search. I live 28 miles from work and commute a max of twice a week, but hope to do a full weeks commute when the mornings brighten up. A sub 10 mile commute should be easy enough at any fitness level, obviously time taken will vary. Dont buy a mountain bike unless you are a glutten for punishment. Have a look at road bikes or maybe hybreds if you want a bit more comfort and dont mind sacrificing a bit of speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Is that a round trip or each way?

I commute to college 5 days a week and it's approx 14km each way so 28km a day. Roughly takes 35-45 depending on weather/me/traffic and how much I've strapped to the bike.

I remember the first cycle I had that wasn't just 10 minutes to secondary school about 3-4 years ago, after 40 minutes I was absolutley dying and the legs were in agony but that was probably due to a general lack of fitness, got used to it pretty quick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

Ya its 9.5 miles each way so 19 miles in total. I might try build up fitness with regular short rides for a few weeks and then tackle the whole commute head on. I've been reading some of the "what bike should I buy" threads alright macnab and there is alot of info on here, will continue searching though. Thanks Crow92, good to hear you got used to it pretty quick! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

When I was in secondary school, I'd cycle the 10 miles each way on a steel framed road bike, and it took about a hour.

Now I do seven miles each way on a mountain bike with slick tires, which takes about 35 minutes. Slightly longer in the rain.

Some people recommend breaking the cycle commute into three times a week.
    Others may suggest just starting on the Monday and doing it everyday. You will be tired at the end of the week but, by week three you'll be fine.

Don't see it as torture - see it as an adventure. If there's a steep climb on your route, see how far you can get up before stopping. The next week you can see how much further you can get up this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Just wondering do ye all have showers in work/college?I only cycle 7-10 miles a few evenings a week but would be in need of a freshen up afterwards.
    Also mac can you explain what you mean by a mountain bike being harder to use on roads?Cheers:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Don't shower in college as I don't really sweat much cycling unless it's very intense or i'm wearing too many layers. I do go a bit slower in the mornings and boot it home in the evening then shower.

The mountain bike will be slower than a hybrid and more than a road bike. It weighs more and the tyres are larges and sometimes with big threads which isn't what you want on the road, you want a slick tyre, gives more grip too.
    Also the suspension on the mountain bike will take absord some of your effort you put into cycling and yet again slow you down.

There are plenty of people who do cycle to work/college on mountain bikes but you need to put in more effort to match the speed you'd get from a hybrid/road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭dancecatz2000

The only why to do it is try it, When i can i cycle 32klm to work, 64klm a day, i find what i save on petrol i spend on food, Road bike is the only way to travel, at the moment i only cycle about once a week but hoping to cycle 2/3 days in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I sometimes do a 37k one way commute. Handy enough with panniers and a shower at both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I have a 35km round trip - it's 15km in and 20km home as I avoid the dual carriageway traffic in the afternoons and take the Strawberry Beds home. I'm lucky in that we have showers in work, because I treat the way in as a time trial. I start work at 6.30 and usually leave the house at 5.50 to leave time for a quick shower. I hadn't really cycled much for years, but just started one Monday last summer and it was fine. Then only part that suffered was the arse really. Took a couple of weeks before I got used to the saddle :D
    As others have said, 10 miles is nothing really on a bike. If you take your time you'll be well able for it. Then you can increase your speed as you get fitter and pretty soon you'll be doing it in less than 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I have a 35km round trip - it's 15km in and 20km home as I avoid the dual carriageway traffic in the afternoons and take the Strawberry Beds home. I'm lucky in that we have showers in work, because I treat the way in as a time trial. I start work at 6.30 and usually leave the house at 5.50 to leave time for a quick shower. I hadn't really cycled much for years, but just started one Monday last summer and it was fine. Then only part that suffered was the arse really. Took a couple of weeks before I got used to the saddle :D
    As others have said, 10 miles is nothing really on a bike. If you take your time you'll be well able for it. Then you can increase your speed as you get fitter and pretty soon you'll be doing it in less than 30 minutes.

Whats the strawberry beds like? I currently going into town from the other side of maynooth and go:

Maynooth>Leixlip>N4 as far as woodies>Fonthill>Bellyfermot Road>South Circular Road. Its not a bad commute. Commute is okay apart from the Fonthill-Liffey Valley Roundabout and the pinch points as your heading towards town on the Ballyfermot road.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

62kms round trip, 4 times a week, 7/8 months a year, take a break on Wednesdays, motivated mainly by spending too much money on petrol. In the car for the winter. It takes me about an hour each way on average. I wouldn't chance it on anything other than a half decent road bike, too much effort, and I wouldn't do it without having a shower before work.

9.5 miles is very doable...you'll enjoy it if you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

6 Kilometers each way. sometimes twice a day, depending on the hours, I'm working.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

193446.JPG

The above is the distances given in the 2006 census for just workers 15 years and older (so, excluding students and school children). There's a few issues that should be noted:
    • It only records the main means of commuting, so if you drive/get a lift/walk/bus it/etc three days a week and only cycle two days, then cycling isn't counted.
    • Anecdotal evidence suggests that a large amount of cyclists, and partially longer distance commuters, commute by bike to work only a few days a week.
    • It shows nobody doing 50km + but according to what people say on threads here, there clearly are people doing such commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Normally it's just as far as the train station which is about 2km away but when the good weather is here it's a 70km round trip from Balbriggan into town and back again.

I'm mulling over whether to do the first one of the new year this coming week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Strawberry Beds is lovely, and much nicer than the N4. It's very quiet in the afternoons at around 3.00, which is when I would be on it. I would only cycle it during daylight though, due to lack of street lighting.
    I'm never in a hurry to get home, so don't mind a longer route. Also, you can take a detour up Rugged Lane or Somerton Lane to practice your hills :D

BX 19 wrote: »
    Whats the strawberry beds like? I currently going into town from the other side of maynooth and go:

Maynooth>Leixlip>N4 as far as woodies>Fonthill>Bellyfermot Road>South Circular Road. Its not a bad commute. Commute is okay apart from the Fonthill-Liffey Valley Roundabout and the pinch points as your heading towards town on the Ballyfermot road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Volovo wrote: »
    Hey all,

I am wondering how far does the average cyclist cycle to work each day? With the cost of running a car I am considering cycling to work at least a few days a week. My commute is 9.5 miles, so I'd be saving significantly on petrol and of course I'd be increasing fitness. I used to be quite fit but not so much anymore!

How difficult would it be to get from couch to 9.5 miles? What kind of bike should I be looking at getting?
    I cycle 22km each way / 44km round trip and I do it 5 days per week.

Your 15km should be easy enough to do. You need a bike (preferably a road bike or a good hybrid for that kind of distance), some cycling gear and preferably a good saddle bag / rack to carry some stuff. I find a backpack not much suitable for longer distance commuting due to sweating problem, limited comfort, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Normally it's just as far as the train station which is about 2km away but when the good weather is here it's a 70km round trip from Balbriggan into town and back again.

I'm mulling over whether to do the first one of the new year this coming week.

Theres a chap i meet sometimes on my commute coming in from balbriggan - he does it a couple of times a week iirc. Id say at a guess he leaves balbriggan about 7.45 am. My own round trip is about 102 kms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

5km each way by fixie, 5 days a week :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

15km door to door, 4 days a week, I moved flat so I could do it.

showers in work, very useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

studiorat wrote: »
    showers in work, very useful.
    Good for you. Nothing like that in my place, but that still wouldn't stop me cycling.

Advertisement