Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling technique / hip flexors

Options
  • 18-02-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Incorrect cycling technique/hip flexor cramping

I am now becoming aware of my cycling technique.

Coming from 20 years of playing GAA I think I have been pedalling in a push down and big high pull motion. I have serious problems with tight hip flexors and quads especially after hill climb and I have very weak glutes/hamstrings. Spent a lot of money on physio last year and had to pull out of a good few sportives so would be very appreciative of any thoughts on technique and maybe any coach recommendations out there to rectify this.

I have read some info that this should be changed to a circular motion and that glutes should be more active rather quads and hips doing all the work. I tried this new technique over the last two weeks but wonder if I am making any progress.

I would be very grateful if anyone could answer these questions:

1. What are the basic fundamentals of correct pedalling technique and getting glutes to kick in?

2..What is the simplest way to practice starting to get the circular motion right?

3.Should I pedal in small circles? I realised today I have been puling up my knee/thigh very high on the upstroke, is this waste of energy and could be extra strain on hip flexors.

4. I am doing a program to strengthen glutes/core/hammers but will this automatically transfer benefit to me cycling

Sorry for all the questions, thanks a million for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I came upon this yesterday and am still trying to understand it (maybe if I read it a few times it will settle in) - I'm posting it here to add to rather than answer your query....

Cycling muscle usage

Perhaps others on here can elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Another one here www.bikesplit.com/bsa4.htm

advocates one legged cycling so you can feel the dead points more easily and search out a smooth rhythm. Never fancied a one legged drill myself, but it makes sense from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think someone would have to look at you on a bike to make any kind of diagnosis of your pedalling style. In any case, I'm not sure that pedalling style is easily trainable - we tend to revert to our preferred style under pressure.

Steve Hogg has written quite a bit about hamstring/quad recruitment and bike fit, e.g.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/06/things-you-may-not-have-known-about-bike-position/

Saddle height is also a factor...

http://www.cyclinganalysis.com/annotated-bibliography-cycling-research/saddle-height-and-muscle-activation

...although pushing up saddle height too far can lead to crippling injuries.

My own experience is that adjustments in bike fit can make a significant difference, but mostly you just need to give your body time to adapt and do exactly what your physio tells you to when you are injured. Most of my bike fit issues have been self-inflicted and then self-diagnosed, usually some careless change to bike setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Booklet, Introduction to Cycling by Paddy Doran
    The cadence and pedalling routine is very simple if you just work with your body and do what feels right, Cycling Ireland have a booklet written by Paddy Doran that covers a lot of your requirements and will make a difference if you get a copy from them.

It has bike set up gearing and cadence as well as training plans for sportives

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Thank you very much for taking time to reply guys.
    I should have reduced amount of confusing detail in my post.

In essence I think I am pulling too high up on the upstroke and this maybe a waste of energy and putting extra strain on hips, not enough push and not pedalling in circles and no power coming from glutes at all.

I will read up on info you have provided.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Our club had a cycling coach take us for a tur o session.
    He came over to me and said that I cycled with my knees out (ie the sagged out on e dry revolution).
    I do get bad cramps and poor technique leading to lack of strength in appropriate areas may have been a factor.

On a different note, I do a lot of one legged cycling exercises on the turbo. I found it useful in building a proper pedal stroke and hopefully some strength.

Advertisement